I blame myself. Sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I've been a Mac user for a couple of months now. Absolutely, very happy with my MBP!

But it figures, I am one of the many who have "switched" lately. I'm sure I was the straw that broke the camel's back. Enough of us have switch to the Mac and it has become a "target". Mac Defender has struck and I blame myself. If I hadn't switched...

I'd like to apologize for causing you people so much trouble.

But ya know what, I"M NOT SWITCHING BACK!!

:)

Monty

PS: No I didn't get sucked in by Mac Defender. Coming from the Windows world I am very careful about installing questionable software.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
boot into safe mode and delete it from startup and applications if you havent already.

and apply the security update from apple.

C

chas_m

Since MacDefender isn't a virus, you and the rest of the switchers are not to blame. :)

Malware has been on all platforms, including ours, since day one. The MacDefender one has been marginally more sophisticated and thus marginally more successful than previous attempts, but in the end it's just another variation on the "give me your credit card number because I'm masquerading as something other than what I am" scam.

MD is a good reminder that although we continue to be safe from viruses, we are no more immune to "scareware" than any other platform, since we have the same vulnerability as them: human operators. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think what surprises me most about the success of MacDefender is the very fact that most Mac users don't run AV software. I mean, in the Windows world, these scan fake AV products usually mimic the user interface of the well-known, commonly used AV products out there. So, it's easy to mistake them for a legit program that you already have installed on your system.

On the Mac, this is kind of an out-of-the-blue, software you've never seen before, should strike you as extremely odd, scenario. I mean, when was the last time you downloaded a program that presented itself to you out of the blue, rather than you having to seek it out?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ OP ROTFL

Go forth and enjoy your Mac but lets make sure you don't cause any more trouble shall we.:)

Reaction score
If Nigerian princes tell you about their hidden stash of gold, don't listen to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Those Nigerian 419ers are a pain in the proverbial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Wait what, you mean that money order I sent to Prince U'buwatu is a scam? He's not going to send me 3 million dollars?

Reaction score
Wait what, you mean that money order I sent to Prince U'buwatu is a scam? He's not going to send me 3 million dollars?

Nope, and I'm sorry to report that the Nigerian Space Program doesn't exist either, which means I'll never get a cut on the Mars mining profits! :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.