• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Patent Aims to Shut Down iPhone Camera Recording in Venues

Reaction score
<sigh> I really hope Apple starts to remember who their customers are. The mere idea that Apple is colluding with 3rd parties to enable them to control [parts of] a device which I bought and paid for is beyond the pale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Perhaps this is their way of encouraging jail breaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's ok, it's ok. This will be a new magical feature! Just wash, rinse and repeat.... You'll all love it! (my sardonic grin is akin to the Joker's right now, sorry)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't care as long as it is something that can be turned on/off by the venue. I understand and don't mind a band or a movie theater not wanting their show to be recorded. I just hope it doesn't think my nephew's school play qualifies as "a venue". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
I don't care as long as it is something that can be turned on/off by the venue. I understand and don't mind a band or a movie theater not wanting their show to be recorded. I just hope it doesn't think my nephew's school play qualifies as "a venue". :)

Is this post a joke?

If someone wants to break the law and record something, or even just record a 20 second clip to show their friends then it's their business.

Like the previous poster said, it's laughable that they'd collude with whatever record computer or venue to reach into a device YOU OWN and limit it's functionality.
What if I just want to film my friends and I happen to be at a rock concert?
Oh I can't, because big brother apple and co. fortune 500 company decided there was an outside chance it'd affect them in a monetary sense.

I love apple products, but I won't buy another iPhone if this is adopted, not because I film stuff in venues when I'm not meant to (because I don't), but because of the principle of the matter.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Why dont you just turn off the mobile internet so that it doesnt know you are at the venue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Just filing a patent doesn't mean Apple intend to use it, it means they're reserving it so nobody else can bring it out.

Cheers :)

Hugh

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
As long as they don't remove my ability to bring up my 'bic' app - and wave it during the slow songs.

If they're going to get this creative - I'd rather see them figure out a way to disable texting or surfing FB while in a moving car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I heard about this yesterday and the word irritated would be an understatement. I really hope they don't put it into use. Apple makes the superior product overall in my opinion, and I would hate having to switch to Android over this, and I would. This goes far beyond outside the "control the user experience to better it" concept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
"Plusgoodful patent!"

Your Nanny State has been replaced by Nanny, Corp. Polish up on your Newspeak. I find it humorous that the trend seems to be towards putting cameras everywhere, except when it involves citizens recording anything, or even possibly recording things. Government and companies seem to be getting most of the mileage out of the video industry and it's weaponization.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have never recorded a performance at a "venue" and never intend to, but I like others here, would regard this as infringement on my personal rights. It is my device, I paid for it, and it is up to me to operate it in accordance with local laws and customs.
Jail breaking has no attraction for me but I would jail break rather than accept that level of outside control/interference with my property.

Reaction score
As others have stated, this is far too Orwellian for my liking. The only thing that's "Insanely Great" is liberty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
^ More likely it's their way of encouraging Android adoption.

Probably not. If you see something as lame as this go on the iphone for reasons that they claim, you will most DEFINITELY see the same thing happen on Android phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If there's one thing that I've learned from following Apple over the years it's read the patent itself. Interesting the Mail On-line story doesn't even have a link to it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Patent doesn't necessarily mean impending product launch. Sometimes companies develop or buy patents simply to add to their IP portfolio, or to license the technology to others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is this post a joke?

Nope, quite serious. I don't condone illegal/dishonest activity. I'm not personally taking actions, but I support methods of enforcing laws of the land.
If it's illegal, it's illegal. My 5 yr old nephew understands that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.