iPad won't connect to Orangehome WIFI

Reaction score
Can't get new iPad to connect to Orangehome WIFI.

When I initially got Orangehome broadband, I was using an iBook. I seem to remember that when I got my second Mac (MPB) I had to do something to the Livebox to get it to accept a second machine. Is there a limit to the number of machines that an Orangehome Livebox will take? Is the WIFI perhaps not accepting the iPad because of the old iBook which I never now use?

I’m also wondering about a possible password issue. When I select my Livebox from “Show Networks” and look at the window containing the password, the number of dots is indeed equal to the number of characters in what I believe to be my password. But does the number of dots really indicate the number of characters?

Comments appreciated.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
The Livebox is telling me that there are two devices connected. (Even though my old iBook is not currently connected.) It gives two six-character groups separated by colons. Are these IPs? How can I find out the IP of my MBP and my iBook?

Does the old iBook needs to be somehow deregistered at the Livebox in order to make way for the new iPad?

Comments appreciated.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
iPad to Orangehome Livebox

No, replies yet but I’ll carry on talking quietly amongst myself for a bit.

By looking in “Network” of both the iBook and the MPB, I’ve found out that the 6-character groups of 2 digits separated by colons are the Airport IDs of my iBook and MPB.

When I look in the Orangehome Livebox via an Ethnernet cable, I see that in “Device Addresses” both of these are “Devices connected to your network”. It still says this even when the iBook is disconnected and switched off.

If the Livebox really limits connections to just two machines, I suppose it will be necessary to remove the old iBook from the Livebox before it will accept my iPad. But how? No doubt this will involve a long call to the Orangehome Help Centre, but in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts?

I had assumed that if you wanted Internet access from someone’s house, all you had to do was key in his connection code to an iPad. Or not?

M

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, for the benefit of anyone else who meets this problem, I might as well carry on with my monologue.

I have found out elsewhere that the Livebox needs to be put into "association mode". This is done by pressing button number 1 until it starts flashing. While this flashing was going on, the iPad was accepted by the Livebox upon entry of the 26-character code.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
When I say "until it starts flashing", I mean the WIFI light (not the button).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ok you stated 26 character which is usually WEP encryption most newer electronics
don't play that well with it if you can change it to WPA2 it would probably run better
all the way around besides being a whole lot more secure. Older equipment had fewer
problems with WEP as it was once the norm or at least give WPA a try since older equipment
may not accept WPA2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.