use external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
how do i make iphoto to look in my external hard drive instead of my ibooks hard drive for photos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Move your whole iPhoto folder to the external drive

Ctrl Click on iPhoto
Choose Library
Select the folder on the external drive
You are all set, it will automatically import to the external and look there

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
i played around with it and it seems to work fine now, thanks

J

jugadro

trpnmonkey41 said:
Move your whole iPhoto folder to the external drive

Ctrl Click on iPhoto
Choose Library
Select the folder on the external drive
You are all set, it will automatically import to the external and look there
Howdy, I'm having the same problem but when I CTRL click on it I don't get "choose library" as an option. I do get a bunch of other stuff. I have copied my entire HD onto my external HD as a backup. I'm running OS 10.3.9 on a G3 ibook with iphoto 4.0.3. -any more tips? Or other additional steps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Woops that should be Alt/Option click

P

pixelpeeper

can the library be moved to another computers drive through networking? I want to keep as much free space on pb's drive. If can be done, will there be thumbnails of pics in iphoto, when not connected to the network?
Thanks

J

jugadro

pixelpeeper said:
can the library be moved to another computers drive through networking? I want to keep as much free space on pb's drive. If can be done, will there be thumbnails of pics in iphoto, when not connected to the network?
Thanks
I assume it could, but you may have to create a new library by option-clicking on the iPhoto icon first. Then click "create library" and choose a destination through the network. You'd have to copy the photos to there after. You should have the thumbs as long as you are connected through the network. When you disconnect from the network, it will probably give you the same "create library - find library" prompt as it does when you option-click. Back up you photos and give it a whirl. Be sure to let us know how/if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.