Backup Trouble

Reaction score
Apparently I accidentally deleted my backup file from my old MacBook Pro. I just got this new one because the old one quit working. The hard drive from my old MBP is still working, so is there some way I can restore my old system profile and applications and all that on my new system with out the TimeMachine backup file? What would happen if I put my old hard drive in this new machine? Would it be able to read and start up like no problem? Could I then go and create a TimeMachine backup on an external disk, then switch out the hard drives again, reboot using my new system, and use Migration Assistant to restore my old MBP's TimeMachine Backup? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Best thing to do would be to buy an external enclosure for your old HDD, plug it into your new macbook and use Migration Assistant to get everything back onto your new laptop.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.