Swapping iMac hard drives

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We've just bought some new computers at work, and are in the process of getting rid of the oldest ones.

The easiest way I can think of to swap data on these computers would be just to switch the hard drives. Any issues with this? I haven't done much in terms of hardware with Macs.

Thanks in advance!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Replacing the HD on the iMac's isn't trivial..since it's all bundled together..the Mac Pro and even Macbook's are easier to work with..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Well, removing the HDD from an iMac isn't an easy task. The level of difficulty depends on the model, the newer models are somewhat easier than the original intel models.

Also, if you are going to be removing the HDD from the new ones and switching it with the older models, you are going to be voiding the warranty on the new Macs. Replacing the HDD on the new models isn't a "user accessible" item.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, if you are going to be removing the HDD from the new ones and switching it with the older models, you are going to be voiding the warranty on the new Macs. Replacing the HDD on the new models isn't a "user accessible" item.

What member "Stretch" related in the above has been verified by MacWorld and OWC. The new iMacs use a hard drive with proprietary firmware specifically for Apple. It has to do with the temperature sensor. Also the SATA cable is different.

That's why I'm buying Apple care for our new iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.