Spotlight Stuck on Indexing

Reaction score
I upgraded a MacBook Pro last night to 10.6.8 and ever since the spotlight has been stuck on indexing putting the hard drive basically at a standstill. So far I've repaired permissions, verified the hard disk (showed as ok) and shut it down, restarted in safe mode then restarted again regularly and it's still stuck indexing and still very very slow. What else should I be doing? Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
10.6.8 hasn't been released yet to the general public. If you are a developer, you should ask this question on the proper Apple forums.

How big is the HD? How may files do you have? If you don't want it to index now, you can always turn it off by executing the following in a Terminal window:
Code:
sudo mdutil -a -i off
Enter your user password when prompted. Change the off to on to turn it back on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.