iphone cannot connect internet via internet sharing on MacBookPro

Reaction score
I connect my Macbook Pro to the internet using ethernet cable usually, and set up internet sharing via Airport, so that my iPhone4 and kindle can access internet via my Macbook network. it had worked fine before.

Until recently, my iPhone suddenly cannot access to the internet using this method.
it can still detect my macbook in the Wi-Fi page, it can still connect to the Wi-Fi (the little WiFi fan icon still shows up in the top bar), but cannot connect to the internet.

The IP address I obtain now is 169.254.xxx.xxx, and subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, and no information is shown for router, DNS etc.

I tried with my kindle and it still works. I also tried using other's iphone to connect, it also works, so apparently is not my macbook problem but my iphone.

I already tried "forget this network" , reset my network setting on my iphone, and also restore the entire phone.

But it still doesn't work.

it had worked before without any problem until suddenly it stops working.

Anyone has any advice? Desparately need help!

Thanks!!!

My iPhone4 is running on iOS 4.3.3 (8J2), MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Reaction score
I have the same symptoms. Very frustrating, traveling now and iPhone is cut off because of this problem.

Reaction score
My iPhone sees the airport connection, but says "not connected to Internet", so it seems the Macbook isn't forwarding the packets properly.

Reaction score
Hi...

It seems you have turned on firewall before your iphone getting connected to your mac.

You may try turning off firewall and then try connecting iphone. Once its connected than you can turn firewall on again..

I hope it helps..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.