New to mac please help me out!

Reaction score
Well i just bought a Mac about a month ago, and im a little upset! I love the computer itself, the beautiful screen, the solid Operating System - But i feel like theres NOTHING to do on it! After i search the web, check my facebook and twitter - what else is there really to do? I search the Mac App store and its nothing like the IPhone app store in terms of organization or number of apps, and im just baffled seeing what a hard time im having trying to find things to do to get the max use out of my beautiful Mac - What do you guys do? What Games do you play? What apps have you downloaded to maximize your computer (Like i just downloaded BetterSnap Tool for aero snap), what are good progams to buy? Give me some Options and opinions, im always lookig for those downlow great apps that make your computer great, night the streamline evernote, vuze, dropbox etc - ALL INFORMATION WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!

Reaction score
Heh, JaeHokes, it sounds like this may be less of a mac problem and more of an internet problem!

I kid, I kid! But seriously, it depends. Tell us a bit more about your mac, is it for your home or a laptop? What kind of specs? Any software you already have on it, besides ilife? like maybe photoshop? People are using their phones a TON these days, and you can do so much on phones like the iphone already...

still, for some things the mac at home cannot be beat! Watching movies and playing games mainly! for that last part, it depends on what mac you have, but frankly as far as gaming goes.. I recommend anything by Blizzard or Steam. Fun games that run great on all kinds of hardware, and there is no need for bootcamp for most games, though you'll get better performance with games like Starcraft 2.

there are so many great apps out there for mac, and I like to keep informed with sites like lifehacker, because they go over apps on a daily basis. App blogs are pretty popular, but necessary too because a lot of the best apps arent free :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Well i just bought a Mac about a month ago, and im a little upset! I love the computer itself, the beautiful screen, the solid Operating System - But i feel like theres NOTHING to do on it! After i search the web, check my facebook and twitter - what else is there really to do?

Um....er..... tricky . . . . I don't want this to sound negative so bear with it to the end...

A computer is a tool, in the same way a hammer is.

If you have nails that need knocking into things, you buy a hammer. Once the nails are knocked in you don't sit there staring at the hammer saying "what else is there really to do?", "does anyone have any ideas about what I can hit with my lovely new hammer?"

A computer, Mac, Windows PC, Linux box etc is a tool. It's a wonderful, versatile tool. You can edit photos, video, keep in touch with friends and family, run a business, design the next 'big thing', play games, discover new music, the list goes on.

The question you need to ask yourself is "what do I need or want a computer for?"

im always lookig for those downlow great apps that make your computer great
It's not apps that make the computer great. What makes them great is find and using an app that lets you do the things you like, enjoy and love to do.

I you like to design web pages, I'll throw a few app suggestions your way.

If you like taking, editing and sharing your photos, likewise.

What is it you want to do? What is it you like to do? What is it that made you buy your Mac?

Throw a few ideas in.... there are people on this forum that have far and wide reaching interests. People that will be more than happy to suggest great ways to do the things you want to do.

OP
J
Reaction score
When i first purchased the mac i thought it would have more to offer than a PC but it seems to be the same i LOVE the computer just wish it gave me as much to do as in lets say an iphone or software and apps that PC's dont have

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think mrplow responded really well, but for some reason, you avoided a response other than
When i first purchased the mac i thought it would have more to offer than a PC but it seems to be the same i LOVE the computer just wish it gave me as much to do as in lets say an iphone or software and apps that PC's dont have
Come on man... give a little :)

Reaction score
mrplow seems to have all the answers to your problem. Technically, you're not supposed to buy a mac and then figure out afterwards what to do with it. ;)

If you want to play games, look around gaming forums to get recommendations. PCs are the best for gamers, but if you are a casual player macs will do just fine. There is a large porting community that specializes in making your favorite titles available on the mac.

I also suggest building your music library and making sure everything is tagged with the cover art in place.

If you enjoy "d*cking around" so to speak, look around your preferences panel for things to do. Test out the voices and other options.

If you want app ideas, hang around macupdate.com, and download bodega, which will give you further recommendations.

  Download Mac Freeware - All Apps has a large selection of free apps.

Seashore is a great free drawing program. Paintbrush is a free alternative that closely resembles MSPaint.

If you have an internet connection, it goes without saying that there are plenty things to do.

If you are still bored... well take a walk outside or do some skydiving, I dunno.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27" iMac i7 2.93 1TB 8GB 2011 15" MBP 2.2 256SSD 8GB iPhone4 32GB iPad 64GB 3G
I think Macs are great for games, just not enough titles are on it. My iMac and MBP play World of Warcraft at the same video frames per second my super duper SLI PC does.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am going to suggest you check out the online magazine About This Particular Mac. The link is in my sig below. If you poke around enough issues you will find a variety of things that people are doing with their Macs.

I am kind of in the middle of a series of articles on things that you can do using only the software that is already installed on new Macs. One of the editors has done an excellent series on things that can be done with Photoshop.

I write a lot of the How To columns for the magazine though I don't make it every month. I usually need good ideas for columns so here's a challenge for you: If you can think of things you would like to do I will either:
1. Point you to previous articles, some mine and some not, that explain how to get the job done.
2. If I haven't written it I will try to, or
3. Scream for assistance from other forum members.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.