Cleaning mac question

Reaction score
Hello,
I know it's agreed upon that Macs don't need apps like SpyBot, antivirus, etc.
However, I'd appreciate this community's opinion on a cleaning apps. What I mean is:
1. Apps that find and help you eliminate duplicate files ( music, images, etc.) with high accuracy to prevent deleting needed files.
2. Apps that can scan the machine and help you remove unneeded files, such as temp files, cache, installation files, etc., etc., etc. In other words, an app like CC cleaner, etc. Even though the Mac is not too vulnerable to spyware, I am certain it still acumulates a lot of just junk that can be cleaned out.
3. Once, the junk files are removed. Is it recommended to defrag or otherwise scan a Mac to optimize its performance?
4. Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks and blessings.
Gary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your Mac more or less takes care of itself and does not accumulate junk as most PCs do. Hence, no need for CCleaner or SpyBot apps. Nor does it really need to be defragmented.

Download the free OnyX maintenance and cleanup tool. Follow its directions or run it in auto mode.

And a word of caution: Stay away from MacKeeper. You'll see it advertised on many sites. It's pure junk, so avoid it.

C

chas_m

1. Apps that find and help you eliminate duplicate files ( music, images, etc.) with high accuracy to prevent deleting needed files.

Really, this starts with the user.

Once the damage is already done, you can use Duplicate Annihilator for iPhoto duplicates, and scripts from Doug Adams (not the dead one, another guy) to do the same for iTunes.

2. Apps that can scan the machine and help you remove unneeded files, such as temp files, cache, installation files, etc., etc., etc. In other words, an app like CC cleaner, etc. Even though the Mac is not too vulnerable to spyware, I am certain it still acumulates a lot of just junk that can be cleaned out.

Not really. You're WAY overthinking this ... let go of the PC paranoia (or OCD disorder, whichever is driving this).

The OCCASIONAL use of a tool like OnyX is MORE than sufficient for healthy maintenance along with good practices like regular backing up and keeping a fair amount of free space available at all times, quitting programs when you're done with them and so forth.

3. Once, the junk files are removed. Is it recommended to defrag or otherwise scan a Mac to optimize its performance?

Nope. Again, most of this is not really necessary. Congratulations on moving to a platform where you no longer have to be a full-time "manager" of the computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope. Again, most of this is not really necessary. Congratulations on moving to a platform where you no longer have to be a full-time "manager" of the computer.

Can I have a "hallelujah"!

OP
G
Reaction score
Onyx seems impossible to download. Have tried it 5 times, and still failed. For some reason the downloaded file is not recognized. Tried both, the stable and the beta. No luck so far.

On an unrelated topic, for a long while I have been curious about the File Cut function. It even is listed in the Edit file, yet it's grayed out. What's the deal with that? Cutting is a useful function.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have also noticed with onxy, is that when I go to update it, it reads error occured, please try again later. This has happened three times now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware there are many versions of Onyx out there and assuming you are using an Intel machine, your post does not provide this critical information, go to the Apple web site and download the correct Onyx there:-

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX

If you are using an older PowerPC Mac, an older version will be required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have downloaded the correct Onyx. I did the download from Apple. It runs fine and does the job well, other than the updates.

OP
G
Reaction score
Many thanks!

Just wanted to say many thanks to everyone who responded with advice!
Thanks and blessings.
Gary

OP
G
Reaction score
Oops. I had to come back right away. I tried to run OnyX, and it won't run. When I click, it tries to start, but the application never opens. I have seen this behavior before. Does it mean this version doesn't run on 10.4.11?
Thanks.

OP
G
Reaction score
Just saw it's for 10.6 and up. Will try to find a previous version...
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Is there a direct link for this that works? I've tried:
-typing in "OnyX" on the Apple website
-the link above

All of them redirect me to this page Apple - Downloads

Can someone help me navigate to the website where I can download OnyX?

Reaction score
I have to laff at some of the replies here about being a full time "manager" if you are on PC.

I'm finding the same thing with being a relatively speaking newbie to the mac scene. Not that I want to let my guard down entirely as it relates to viruses and malware and junk, but you're right, it takes a while to adapt the mindset.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.