Wifi issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 10.6.7
Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum - and apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section! I am having trouble with my wifi connection and hoping someone here can alleviate my frustration.

I am using a Macbook running 10.6.7, and have never had issues with Airport or wifi before. However, since moving back home for the summer, I find that there is a connection issue. Everything will be working fine, and then all of a sudden my webpages don't load - I just get a blank screen for a minute, and then a "check your connection" error message. It happens in firefox, chrome and safari. The frustrating part is that skype still works fine, as does whatever torrent transfers I have in progress (I use Transmission). Additionally, my sisters PC laptop running windows 7 continues to work fine, as well as the two PC's connected via ethernet to the router.

The only thing that helps is unplugging the router (Linksys WRT54G). After I plug it back in, I get another hour or so of connectivity before it cuts out again, leaving me with skype and torrents, but no browsing. Why don't my macbook and router get along? How can I fix this? Any help would be extremely appreciated!
~Diarmuidz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.