Airport turns itself on

Reaction score
I have an annoying problem where my airport on my macbook turns on by itself randomly.

I tried setting require administrator password to control airport to on, which works in that I have to enter the password but the airport still turns on by itself.

It's always when the macbook wakes from sleep that the airport comes on.

Most of the time I dont use the airport as I prefer to use the plug in cable. I would just like the airport to go off and stay off.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Check turn on or off box ?

OP
S
Reaction score
I ticked the password box in advanced, the other options in there are disconnect from network when logging out which is ticked, and remember any network I have joined which is not. It seems like some kind of error with the airport setting, I dont know what else there is to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
In the 'Energy Saver' settings do you have 'wake for network access' enabled?

OP
S
Reaction score
No it's not ticked. The mac also never sleeps on its own I dont know if this could be related.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Did you install an antivirus program? If so, uninstall it. It's
Unecesary and cause the issues you are describing.

Reaction score
Airport turning off by itself

has anyone figured out why this is happening? mine just started doing this a few days ago. no other computer in the house is affected - just my MB Pro (13" i5) which is about 6 months old.

i have seen a lot of people complaining about this on the internet, but have not found any solutions.

HELP!

i use a cisco router with WPA2 mixed mode security.

as i said, this issue has just recently popped up and ONLY affects the MB Pro.

no software changes have been made to it other than the regular updates that Apple sends out....

Reaction score
Update

i changed the security on the wireless router from WPA/WPA2 mixed to WPA2 and made it an N network rather than auto select and i "think" that might have resolved the issue....the jury is still out......

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am pretty sure you really mean it attempts to connect to a wireless network in what may seem to be random.

Airport is actually going to be on "all the time" unless you open up Sys Pref - Network - highlight Airport in the sidebar - next to Status: - select Turn Airport Off if you don't want it attempting to connect.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you have 'show airport status in menu bar', turn airport on/off appears in the menu below. When on it shows all my neighbours wireless networks, I turn it off for security.

Reaction score
Am pretty sure you really mean it attempts to connect to a wireless network in what may seem to be random.

Airport is actually going to be on "all the time" unless you open up Sys Pref - Network - highlight Airport in the sidebar - next to Status: - select Turn Airport Off if you don't want it attempting to connect.

when i said auto select i was refering to making the network a wireless N network and not wireless B/G/N....

my laptop was not trying to connect to other (neighbor's) networks, it was just dropping its connection altogether. at any rate i have it set to not attempt to connect to any network w/o the admin password.

i'm not SURE why it was dropping the connection, but since changing the encryption scheme and the type of wireless network it seems stable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.