How to open window files created in Excel

Reaction score
I received a file attachment with an extension that implied creation in Excel and thought my BOMArchiverHelper program would open it, but to no avail. I am new to the Mac world having been a PC user for years so this is all new to me. Can anyone tell me what program will open Excel spreadsheets. Whenever I tried to open the file, it "morphed" into something else, and kept "morphing" with everything I tried.: I am running OSX 10.4.11 Tiger and my browser is Safari 4.1.3. OH, and this computer is the Mac "Mushroom"...iMac.
Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

MS Office for Mac.

Maybe one of the free office suites such as Open Office may do the trick.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am hesitant to add new problems as I may have a memory problem. I am looking at the activity monitor and the only critical area is on the System Memory, there is 11.66 MB remaining. Does the addition of another program affect the System Memory?
Thanks for responding.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would be pretty sure that your combined inactive and free memory together total more than 12MB. And if you're worried about it, reboot your computer.

Regardless, if you want to open an excel file, then you're going to need an app that can open an excel file on your Mac, the same as you would on a Windows machine. That basically means MS Office, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice or iWorks. The middle 3 are all free. Libre and Neo are spinoffs of OpenOffice with Libre being the most up to date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.