Transferring Photos and Video from PC External Hard Drive to iMac

Reaction score
I am about to purchase my first iMac but wanted to find out if it will be possible to access an external hard drive that I used for my PC from the iMac. I used to hard drive to save dslr photos and videos from my flip cam. Will I be able to plug this into the iMac via USB and retrieve the photos and videos? I no longer will be using the PC to access any of the information on the ext hard drive. Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am about to purchase my first iMac but wanted to find out if it will be possible to access an external hard drive that I used for my PC from the iMac. I used to hard drive to save dslr photos and videos from my flip cam. Will I be able to plug this into the iMac via USB and retrieve the photos and videos? I no longer will be using the PC to access any of the information on the ext hard drive. Thanks

If the drive is formated FAT32 no problem at all. I believe you can still access the files but not write to the drive if it is formatted NTFS.
I did the same thing when I switched and still use the external drive with my Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
If the drive is formated FAT32 no problem at all. I believe you can still access the files but not write to the drive if it is formatted NTFS.
I did the same thing when I switched and still use the external drive with my Mac.

How can I tell if it is FAT32 formatted?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you haven't purchased the Mac yet.

Attach the drive to your PC. Open a command prompt and type in "chkdsk D:" (no quotes) or whichever drive letter the external drive is assigned.

The system will respond back with the type of file system and some other information about checking the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.