Are RAM modules classed as "Hardware"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I couldn't find a more logical place for a question about RAM but feel free to move my post if there is somewhere more appropriate.
OK, I have a Mid 2010 Mac Mini which is the slimmer version. It comes as standard with 2 sticks of RAM at 1gb each. They fit nicely in the 2 available slots.
I want to upgrade to 4gb total with a plan to further upgrade to 8gb total in about a month or so when my piggy bank fills up a little.
I have been to the Crucial website and I have 2 options. Either 2 x 2gb sticks of RAM, one for each slot or 1 x 4gb stick of RAM, giving me one slot with 4gb and one slot empty.
I would like to go with Option 2 because that leaves me with a spare slot for another 4gb stick of RAM at a later date.
My problem is, will my Mac Mini run happily with one empty RAM slot and a 4gb stick of RAM in the other?

BTW, the 4gb RAM stick from Crucial is marked as follows ....

Part Number: CT1272824
Module Size: 4GB
Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-8500
Specs: DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

Many thanks for any info,
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Memory needs to be installed in matched pairs for the best speed and efficiency. I suggest leaving things alone until you can afford to purchase both modules.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
And to answer the question in your post title - Yes.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again,
There's good news and bad news.
The good news is that I posted the question in the right place.
The bad news is that there seems to be a conflict of interests here.
I phoned the Crucial Help and Support type desk and I was told that a single 4gb RAM stick would definitely work in my Mac Mini.
On the other hand, chscag .... A staff member of the Apple Mac forum says that memory has to be in matched pairs to work properly.
The bad, bad news is that I took the word of the rep at Crucial and bought a single stick @ 4gb before seeing chscag's post.
I'll do an update in about 5 days.
Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Love the sig! Apart from some of the Mac Pro and PowerMac G5 models, RAM doesn't HAVE to be installed in pairs. You will get slight performance boosts with paired memory, but it's not a requirement. If you find you're running out of RAM with only 2GB installed, a single 4GB chip will be more of an improvement than you would see with two 1GB RAM chips installed. When the system runs out of RAM, it writes some of the open files to the hard drive, freeing up RAM for other tasks - a very inefficient and relatively slow process. If the system has enough RAM, it doesn't have to write files to the hard drive as often to free up working memory, and performance improves. The great thing about this model is installing RAM is a dream compared to the previous models.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
EvenStranger is right, you don't need to use matched pairs. But chscag is also right in that best performance comes from using matched pairs - with a caveat.... the matched pairs have to be exactly matched, same number of chips on the board - otherwise it won't run in dual channel.

So, if you decide to get a second 4GB module from Crucial, be sure they are selling you the exact same part number.

Also, as EvenStranger alluded to, more memory doesn't equate to more speed. Having more memory (if you need it, given the number and type of applications you routinely run) will make your computer more efficient. But contrary to the marketing you'll see out there, it does not "add speed". So, if you find that the computer is meeting your expectations with 4GB, you need not add another 4, thinking that you'll get even more of a performance boost.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like CWA pointed out, one stick will work. I had to do that due to $$$ issues, but two sticks in a matched pair will qgivqe better performance. It will work just fine for now.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can say is "Phew".

Thanks guys,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with a matched pair as advised. If one module fails you will still be able to use the Mini until it is replaced.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update .... The single 4GB RAM stick arrived from Crucial and was a piece of cake to install. I left one slot empty rather than trying to use it with 1 x 4GB chip and 1 x 1GB chip. I figured that was pushing it a little. Besides, I can now sell these as a matching pair on eBay to off-set the cost of the second 4GB stick from Crucial.

Screenshot2011-06-18at190005.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.