Discussions related to iOS 5

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Please note the following will apply to discussions of iOS 5:

• Only discussions of either publicly released information from Apple or rumors will be allowed.
  • We will not allow discussions related to pre-release copies of iOS 5 as it is covered by NDA for legitimate developer use.

If you have a legitimate copy of iOS 5, you should be using the provided resources that Apple has given you for support and troubleshooting and you should not be sharing information here that is covered by the NDA.

If you do so, you could risk being suspended or banned from Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a bunch of them
any rumors about buying text message tones on itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Please post off topic discussions in a new thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Wow, I expected this thread to have hundreds of comments.

I don't have anything to add that was not covered in the keynote presentation at WWDC however I will say that I am glad Apple have reviewed the notification system and the lock screen.

I jail broke my iPhone just to change the lock screen and used a cydia application that looks very similar to what Apple are showing for iOS 5. I subsequently got fed up of losing features on my iPhone until the new iOS was jailbroken so I went back to normal but I did miss the lock screen from cydia.

Can't wait for the iOS 5 release :D

Reaction score
iPad first generation

I was just wondering if anyone new how far out Apple planned on supporting the iPad (1st gen). I didn't know if it would be a matter of years like the first iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I was just wondering if anyone new how far out Apple planned on supporting the iPad (1st gen). I didn't know if it would be a matter of years like the first iPhone.

Nobody will know that for certain, however going off past form Apple do appear to support older units with new iOS updates for a number of years. However they do tend to drop some of the newer iOS features on older units (e.g. AirPrint on iPhone 3G).

Reaction score
Ok, now that all the hoopla is done, will the iphone4 users get all the new software features of iOS 5? I'm new to apple so I'm not sure how they update the iOS software.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok, now that all the hoopla is done, will the iphone4 users get all the new software features of iOS 5? I'm new to apple so I'm not sure how they update the iOS software.

If you sync your iPhone after IOS 5 is made available you will be prompted to download and install. Free upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you sync your iPhone after IOS 5 is made available you will be prompted to download and install. Free upgrade.

Correct, but please be aware that Siri is not an iOS 5 feature. It is specific only to the iPhone 4s. I know some people will be looking for that feature next week when iOS 5 becomes available and they will show up here complaining or asking about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Anyone know if the new "Personal Assistant", aka Siri, feature will be for both iPhone 4s and 4.

It seems like a no brainer that it should be available for both, but on the Apple website, though it doesn't definitely state one way or the other it keeps on making it sound like a 4s only feature (boo!)

Edit:

It is IPhone 4s exclusive. Apple pulled the Siri app from the store and whoever had it already are getting messages stating that the app will stop working on October 15th... Big time Booo! They should've made it available for iPhone 4 as well.

Reaction score
how long before a 3rd party develops a personal assistant like this, or does this run separate from an app?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
how long before a 3rd party develops a personal assistant like this, or does this run separate from an app?

About 2 or 3 years ago since Siri (as I understand it) has its roots in the APP published by a 3rd party developer Apple purchased in order to aquire their technology.

Reaction score
You guys know about the new Find My Mac feature available? Well if you do I have recently put this to the test and locked my MacBook Pro to see how well it works. It worked so well that I couldn't even log myself in. I remember the password I set, but it only gives you 4 digits and in the app you set a password for 6 digits! I have tried everything to log in, but it won't let me in. I tried resetting my PRAM, but that didn't work because I have windows as my main boot disk selected and not Mac OSX. Do you guys know what to do? Please help :(

Reaction score
Everyone ready for their iPhone 4 to be faster tomorrow. Anandtech benchmarked a crap load of phones including the 4 running ios4 and iOS 5. As well as the ip4s. The iphone 4s is the fastest phone on the market, with the 4 beating more than 3/4 of the dual core android phones with iOS 5 running. That's great news for us peasants that kept our ip4 units.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.