Safari....pages loading dreadfully slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
For some reason my internet page loading has been slowed to a crawl. I performed the download speed test and the results were satisfactory. I have CenturyLink as an ISP and Safari 5.0.5 ........ Can someone tell me what to look for as the culprit? I hope I didn't pick up a virus. Thanks

M

MacInWin

There aren't any viruses in the wild for OSX, so that's not the problem. What are the URLs that are loading slowly? I find that sites with lots of Flash stuff are problematic, as are the ones with linked advertising. Have you tried any other browser to see if it's the site?

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the comeback Jakerich. This is one of the sites that was loading slow, it took 2 minutes to bring up this page. There were other sites like Clearcheckbook and Facebook also that took forever. I'll call Centurylink and ask if they're having a problem. Maybe I should try Google Chrome also. I tried that browser briefly a month ago, but I couldn't get used to the clutter on it and quit it. They had a lot of promotional ads crammed into it that need flushing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try clearing the Cache in Safari? Also try Firefox and see if the same slow loading sites are the same there.

M

MacInWin

This site is loading quickly for me, so it's not the site. Did clearing the cache make it better?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might also want to take a look at what addresses you're using for DNS. Some ISPs use their own proprietary DNS addresses which are slower than the ones that are open to the public. OpenDNS and Google both have public DNS addresses which you can try.

Reaction score
OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still pretty green on the iMac, so I'll have to figure out how to clear the cache in Safari.
Update.....just cleared the cache, I'll see how it does now. By clearing the cache, is that just deleting history?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Click on Safari on the Menu bar and then select Empty Cache.

(you really need to spend a little time going through the menus in the apps you use all the time to get a general feel for what's there)

Reaction score
Safari8.0 and Yosemite - slow loading web pages

This forum is so useful helping point to potential solutions!! My iMac was crawling along loading web pages and I feared the highly technical solutions suggested elsewhere. The solution which worked was so simple - select DEVELOP and EMPTY CACHES - now I have S..P..E..E..D!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.