cool thumbpad trick

J

Jonster

okay, so i don't know if you guys know this or what, but i just found this out that if you use two fingers held together and move it down the thumbpad while using safari (that's all i've tried it on), it scrolls the page in whatever direction you move your fingers? i thought that was really awesome. i hope at least one person who reads this didn't know that so i can feel useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Samsonite said:
That is listed as a selling point for the Powerbook and iBook
Yeah, it is even one of the very first things mentioned on the specs page for PowerBooks on Apple's site.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

Its something that hopefully anyone buying one would know... or should know before they buy it. Its just plain smart to research a major purchase like a computer, before you buy it! :)

But if there are folks who just buy without checking the site or asking questions, then I am sure you will be informative to those people! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's called a "scrolling trackpad" and it's only on the current iBook and PowerBook models. If your 'Book is more than ~6 mo. old, it won't have that feature.

If yours doesn't scroll, you can download hacks to add a scrolling region or fake the two-fingered scroll.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
iScroll

hi

if you don't have it on your ibook or powerbook go to version tracker
and download iScroll - i think its cool

kind regards :yinyang: :yinyang: :yinyang:

OP
S

sursuciofla

brendan67 said:
hi

if you don't have it on your ibook or powerbook go to version tracker
and download iScroll - i think its cool

kind regards :yinyang: :yinyang: :yinyang:

Yeah I have that and screen spanning, I enjoy both. The hack is the reason I didn't buy the powerbook. Slower than PB but I can live with it. Still gets my vid editing and graphics stuff done adequately. My bro made it through on the ibook too and since I have access to a Dual G5 life isn't too bad at all. Hehe, just wish I owned it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
screen spanning

sursuciofla said:
Yeah I have that and screen spanning, I enjoy both. The hack is the reason I didn't buy the powerbook. Slower than PB but I can live with it. Still gets my vid editing and graphics stuff done adequately. My bro made it through on the ibook too and since I have access to a Dual G5 life isn't too bad at all. Hehe, just wish I owned it.

hey

whats screen spanning wots it do?

regards :miner:

OP
S

sursuciofla

brendan67 said:
hey

whats screen spanning wots it do?

regards :miner:

It allows you to use a second monitor. The powerbook and powermac have this capability built-in. Instead of it mirroring your computer screen like on the ibook, imac, and emac, and I think mini (but I may be wrong on that), it allows you to widen(or extend) your work area. I do it with my 17" monitor. You can get the patch from here:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
screen spanning

sursuciofla said:
It allows you to use a second monitor. The powerbook and powermac have this capability built-in. Instead of it mirroring your computer screen like on the ibook, imac, and emac, and I think mini (but I may be wrong on that), it allows you to widen(or extend) your work area. I do it with my 17" monitor. You can get the patch from here:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

hey

thanks checking it now

kind regards :batman:

OP
J

Jonster

sorry if you guys knew about this already, i thought it was nifty but you didn't have to mock me. thanks.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Jonster said:
sorry if you guys knew about this already, i thought it was nifty but you didn't have to mock me. thanks.

You have to have a sense of humour here Jonster. They mean no harm, we all get poked fun at around here sometimes. I am sure they meant nothing by it, I certainly didn't. :black:

OP
M

menace3054

yea it is one of the more advertised features, but i think most forget about it. when i bought my powerbook the other day, i just walked in a bought it since i knew what i wanted. i had totally forgotten about that feature since the pbs have been out for like 6 months now.. i realized it again yesterday and its definately ane exciting feature

OP
J

Jonster

sursuciofla said:
You have to have a sense of humour here Jonster. They mean no harm, we all get poked fun at around here sometimes. I am sure they meant nothing by it, I certainly didn't. :black:

i have a sense of humor, bro, it's just, i'm a switcher and when i try to help people or show people things, i get a lot of sarcastic comments because i'm a switcher and they make me feel incredibly insuferior to all of you. basically, i don't want to feel like a noob.
:dummy:

OP
B

buckie06

sometimes when i;m using two fingers to scroll firefox will go back to the previous page. I think it happens when i double hit the pad by mistake when i;m scrolling. Anyone heard of this or know how to turn it off? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
well...did you also know that all ibooks have a mic on its screen .....?
I thought the little hole was some kind of reset button....lol

OP
M

Merlinblack

buckie06 said:
sometimes when i;m using two fingers to scroll firefox will go back to the previous page. I think it happens when i double hit the pad by mistake when i;m scrolling. Anyone heard of this or know how to turn it off? thanks

It acctually happens when you have both fingers on the trackpad and you move them forward and backward. It is super sensitive though so sometimes if you're not careful you can switch pages.

NO idea how to turn it off I kind of like the feature so I've never fooled around with it. Try the sys preferences>Keyboard & mouse

Jonster: I did the same thing you did all except posting on the forums. It's an exciting moment to find stuff like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
It gets a little annoying to me when using firefox. I keep going back a page while trying to scroll down. Convient feature nonetheless tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.