IMAC g3 400Mhz upgrade

Reaction score
I have an imac G3 400mHZ, I am going to upgrade it to 1gb RAM and 120 GB hard drive, what is the best os I can have on it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't spend a nickel on it, but the newest version of OS X is going to be 10.4, which is quite old now (originally released in 2005).

Mac OS X 10.4: System requirements

With that said, you will need a retail copy of 10.4, which can be hard to come by and very expensive. Even if you did manage to come by one, chances are it will run excruciatingly slow on a machine of that vintage, even with upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And expect to pay up to $100 for Tiger, and another hundred odd for the hdd and memory. Put it into a newer machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
And expect to pay up to $100 for Tiger, and another hundred odd for the hdd and memory. Put it into a newer machine.

I can't believe an OS that old is still going for that much money. I just saw a retail Tiger disk for sale on my local craigslist for $20... Maybe I should buy it if it's that good a deal. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't believe an OS that old is still going for that much money. I just saw a retail Tiger disk for sale on my local craigslist for $20... Maybe I should buy it if it's that good a deal. ;)

Either it's not really retail Tiger, or the seller is clueless. All of the more modern versions of OS X that will still run on PPC are fetching higher prices. Tiger less so than Leopard, but still a lot of software runs on Tiger that won't run on older versions of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
If it is a full retail install it is dirt cheap but MacDude make sure it is not a silver/grey disc that is extremely model specific.

At Amazon new version still brings $159.00:-

Amazon.com: Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger [OLD VERSION]: Software

And used on eBay still $100.00:-

MAC OS X OSX TIGER 10.4.6 FULL RETAIL INSTALL DVD W BOX | eBay

Either it's not really retail Tiger, or the seller is clueless. All of the more modern versions of OS X that will still run on PPC are fetching higher prices. Tiger less so than Leopard, but still a lot of software runs on Tiger that won't run on older versions of OS X.

You were right in saying that the seller was clueless. I gave him a call and he said he had no use for it, somebody gave it to him and he was just gonna throw it out if nobody bought it. I made sure it was the black retail disk, and picked it up for $20. It's still in the box, with all of the manuals and original paperwork. Can't wait to get it running on the G3. ;)

Reaction score
You were right in saying that the seller was clueless. I gave him a call and he said he had no use for it, somebody gave it to him and he was just gonna throw it out if nobody bought it. I made sure it was the black retail disk, and picked it up for $20. It's still in the box, with all of the manuals and original paperwork. Can't wait to get it running on the G3. ;)

I pick up my disc at the thrift store for $2.00...you just have to know where to look.

Also if you change the hard drive you may need to reinstall the firmware for that machine first before the os.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.