Question about finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
When I go into Finder, I see a section on the left side with history from today, yesterday, etc and then it lists movies, pics and documents. Is there a way to turn that history off or if I clear it, will it delete the actual files? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Don't delete anything in there, as you are deleting the actual files.
Go to Finder in the menu bar, preferences, sidebar, and deselect anything you don't want showing there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure if this is what you want.... but open the Finder, click on preferences, and remove the checks from the boxes under the section that says "Search for". That should eliminate the history. I have mine set that way and the history doesn't show up in Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Ps. you can also right click and select remove from sidebar. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
Go to Finder in the menu bar, preferences, sidebar, and deselect anything you don't want showing there.

Great, thanks. By de-selecting the history part I won't be limiting my search results if I do decide to search for something that I used yesterday, will I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By de-selecting the history part I won't be limiting my search results if I do decide to search for something that I used yesterday, will I?

Nope :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

If I'm not mistaken, the OP is referring to Smart Folders, and removing them from the sidebar. That won't delete the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I'm not mistaken, the OP is referring to Smart Folders, and removing them from the sidebar. That won't delete the files.

Deleting items within them will delete the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deleting items within them will delete the files.
As I understood the OP, this was not the question.

When I go into Finder, I see a section on the left side with history from today, yesterday, etc and then it lists movies, pics and documents. Is there a way to turn that history off or if I clear it, will it delete the actual files? Thanks

Perhaps in the next part of that, by "clear it" the OP means delete everything in it, but I didn't take it that way. However, "turning it off" is simple. Drag it off, which has the same effect as unchecking it in preferences. That does not delete the files. You can also just click the "disclosure triangle" and get the list to "roll up" and be out of sight.

But if OP means not having those things "tracked" in the Smart Folders, I'm not aware of a way to do that. I admit that I thought those were just aliases, and did not know you could delete the real file from that location. Good to know!

I also thought I'd read that these are not copies of the files, and thus do not take up more disk space. Maybe that led me to the above conclusion. So, is that not the case either?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I understood the OP, this was not the question.

Perhaps in the next part of that, by "clear it" the OP means delete everything in it, but I didn't take it that way. However, "turning it off" is simple. Drag it off, which has the same effect as unchecking it in preferences. That does not delete the files. You can also just click the "disclosure triangle" and get the list to "roll up" and be out of sight.

But if OP means not having those things "tracked" in the Smart Folders, I'm not aware of a way to do that. I admit that I thought those were just aliases, and did not know you could delete the real file from that location. Good to know!

I also thought I'd read that these are not copies of the files, and thus do not take up more disk space. Maybe that led me to the above conclusion. So, is that not the case either?

Is there a way to turn that history off or if I clear it, will it delete the actual files?

Looks to me that I answered the question correctly, but who knows unless the OP comes back to clear things up for you? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah. What about my question?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
For some of the searches you guys have been talking about it seems to me that for files on locally connected drives the files are moved to the trash but not deleted. I am not sure whether the same applies to files stored on network shares. Then again maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Perhaps someone else can test this with a dummy/junk file. Not with anything important obviously. Seems to me it moved the files to the trash last time I used it. Then again I have Finder set to warn me before deleting stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some of the searches you guys have been talking about it seems to me that for files on locally connected drives the files are moved to the trash but not deleted. I am not sure whether the same applies to files stored on network shares. Then again maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Perhaps someone else can test this with a dummy/junk file. Not with anything important obviously. Seems to me it moved the files to the trash last time I used it. Then again I have Finder set to warn me before deleting stuff.

It does move it to the trash before deleting it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks. I was beginning to think I had forgotten something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.