Help I think I am being hacked

Reaction score
Hello I think my mac is being hacked at my workplace. I connect wirelessly to the internet at my job. i am using 10.5.8 and in the finder side panel I see the name of computers from other people at my job under the word shared. I have included a screen shot of what I am talking about:

What does this mean, do these other computers have access to my computer? Am I being hacked?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not being hacked. Those are computers which are on the same network as you and possibly have sharing turned on. Is your wireless network protected by encryption? In other words, do you need to sign on with a password or certificate?

In any event, they can't gain access to your machine unless you allow it. Do this:

Open System Preferences, click on Sharing. Make sure you're not sharing your machine on the office network. Look to see if any of those options are checked off. If they are, remove the checks and reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hii and welcome to the forums.

Basically no they are not hacking you. All it is is others on the same network as you and if you have file sharing turned on its a matter of click and dragging files to the other user.

File sharing can be turned off/on in system preferences.

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
I just want point out you should not post picture like that on the net. You have not been hacked but your picture gives away a lot of information.

For example from that picture I have email address, I know you use office for mac, And you are from the US and could possible work in the steel industry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just want point out you should not post picture like that on the net. You have not been hacked but your picture gives away a lot of information.

For example from that picture I have email address, I know you use office for mac, And you are from the US and could possible work in the steel industry.

The OP Was NOT Hacked.

I do agree people should be more careful with Screen shots as like he said, the email is right there for people to see. Block it out in a graphics editor.

Reaction score
dtravis7 I just was trying point out from the information in the screen shoot it would be very easy to make a fake email with an excel file in that contains some backdoor send it to them saying it a quote for work they open it and the person could have full access to his/her machine and looking on the screen shot one computer looks like finance one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I said I agreed with your points. Just pointed out the OP was not hacked.

The info in the screen shot was dangerous to post and I agree with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Omg they use office for mac...let the hackz begins!@!!@!@!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Oh..and if you WERE being hacked..a good hacker would certainly not do it in a visible form that you'd be able to see..you logged into your work network most likely and are seeing other PC's on the network..

C

chas_m

Also, just to reassure the OP further -- not only is there nothing untoward going on, what you are seeing is in fact PERFECTLY NORMAL when there are other computers (particularly PCs) on the same network. You're just seeing what the other machines are, not necessarily (unless they have sharing turned on) anything on those machines. And again unless you have VERY deliberately opted to share the contents of your machine, they conversely CANNOT get into your machine either (other than a pre-set, empty, "Public Dropbox" folder, that is).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.