Just switched to Mac Mail

Reaction score
I have one GMail account and and one Exchange account. The other day I finally made the switch (for several reasons) over to Mac's Mail and I'm having an issue.

Why is it that the most frequently Mail checks for new messages is every minute whereas on my previous client, Engourage, it would update with new messages in "real time?" Is there some setting I'm missing somewhere? Or am I somehow mistaken?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because that's the way the Mail program is designed. The fastest it will check mail is every minute - not real time (all the time) as Entourage or Outlook do.

Reaction score
Yes, the Mac mail client is great, but it has it's strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately there are other ones that you can try out if you were intent on using a mac-based mail client. Here are a few to try (not all are free though):
Thunderbird
Mailmate
Sparrow
Notify
Postbox

Here's an article that goes over each briefly.

The Best Email Client for Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Using Mail go into Preferences > General and select how frequently you want incoming mail checked for. Every fifteen minutes seems ample.

And don't fall for that $40 program.

C

chas_m

If you need to check your mail more than once a minute, a lifestyle re-evaluation is in order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lol chas wonder if the OP meant it the other way around?

Have read the once a minute setting can actually lead to connection problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.