Dead backlight ... or so I thought.

Reaction score
So recently my A1260 aluminum body macbook pro's screen back light stopped working. I was riding my bike and it was in my bag and when I went to power up at school my screen was black. Initially I freaked out because I thought it was my hard drive (I wish it was now). But then I realized my system was still running because I could faintly see everything. So I found out it was something involved with the back light that must have been damaged somehow.

Anyway that's the gist of it. I've read dozens of threads on this issue.
I have tried resetting my ram.
I have tried resetting the back light settings in the energy saver.
I have tried replacing the inverter cable.
I have tried replacing the inverter board.
Finally I most recently tried replacing the screen.

At $200, needless to say I was quite enraged when it didn't work. I know what the next step is and I'm trying anything to avoid it. Because I don't want to spend another 200 to replace the mainboard and have it not work. So is there anything else anyone can suggest I do before I bust out the wallet again?

On a side note would anyone like to buy a perfectly good Screen, inverter board, and cable? ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bad backlight is usually related to the inverter or inverter cable. In some instances, the CCFD itself goes bad and that usually means a LCD swap out.

However, since you performed all three repair solutions, that doesn't leave much. I don't think it's the logic board. Have you gone back over your work and made sure that the replacement parts you used are in fact the correct ones?

Double check your work by looking at the instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
P
Reaction score
I did, and i made sure to match my model number every time I bought a part.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Already followed this exact page. And everything he mentions i covered in my first post...

So does anyone have any helpful ideas?

I don't know if it is helpful or not, but with all that you have already done the only thing I can suggest is a painstaking look at all the connections and connectors (especially looking where the cables plug into boards).
Other than that it looks like your options are:
1) replace the logic board
2) give it to Apple and let them look at it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.