Get iPad 2 or keep iPad 1?

Reaction score
I have an iPad 1. It works just fine for what I use it for (which isn't much more than checking email, ereader, and of course angry birds). I've been getting the iPad2 itch but I really can't justify spending the money when I have a perfectly good iPad 1 (paid for) which is just barely 6 months old. It'll run iOS 5 right?

should I get the iPad 2 or keep my iPad 1? (all bets are off if they release a iPad 3!)

Gwenn

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have an iPad 1. It works just fine for what I use it for (which isn't much more than checking email, ereader, and of course angry birds). I've been getting the iPad2 itch but I really can't justify spending the money when I have a perfectly good iPad 1 (paid for) which is just barely 6 months old. It'll run iOS 5 right?

should I get the iPad 2 or keep my iPad 1? (all bets are off if they release a iPad 3!)

Gwenn

I had iPad and upgraded to iPad2. My reasoning was I used it constantly and since it had become my main media and Internet device the small reduction in weight and thickness, plus slight increase in speed was worth it.
After having made the switch I think I was right . . . Barely.

With the usage you describe though I would say wait for iPad3. You won't gain enough from the upgrade to justify it unless you can get a really good return for your old one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's what I'm wondering from those that upgraded to the iPad2.

My one main gripe is the reloading of web pages. After Apple recanted last week, I went and took a serious look at them. I tested one with 6 pages and unlike all the reviews when it first hit, it was reloading every page also if I went in a circle around the 6 sites. How much different is it in this respect?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

My one main gripe is the reloading of web pages. After Apple recanted last week, I went and took a serious look at them. I tested one with 6 pages and unlike all the reviews when it first hit, it was reloading every page also if I went in a circle around the 6 sites. How much different is it in this respect?

Not absolutely sure I understood, but I just did a quick switch between 5 different windows in the Safari browser. The first time I went back to a window it reloaded, after that I was able to bounce back and forth multiple times without reloading.

Again: my bottomline is I would not recommend the upgrade unless you live on your iPad and even then it is only a marginal improvement. Honestly if it hadn't been for the additional benefit of passing the old iPads to our kids I probably would have waited for iPad3.

Still, not sorry we made the change.

C

chas_m

To answer the OP's actual question, YES the original iPad can be upgraded to iOS 5 when it comes out. It will be a free upgrade.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To answer the OP's actual question, YES the original iPad can be upgraded to iOS 5 when it comes out. It will be a free upgrade.
I have always considered sentences (or fragments thereof) that begin with "should I . . ." as questions. :)

Gwenn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

There are a lot of decent browser options besides Safari...tabbed browsing etc...I switch around depending on the circumstances....

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I would wait at this point. I have on my dining room table 3 iPads right now - (2 for work). One is an iPad 2 - but because I have an iPad 1 - aside from taking a few minutes to play with the cameras I haven't touched since getting it. I haven't even done the initial activation. For me there just isn't enough draw with the iPad 2 if you already have one. I do plan to grab the next iPad rev though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are a lot of decent browser options besides Safari...tabbed browsing etc...I switch around depending on the circumstances....

I already use Atomic most of the time - imho, the best browser on the iPad right now. With only 256MB of RAM, that still doesn't prevent pages from reloading when switching between a bunch of open tabs.

And this is a real problem if you spend time answering folks questions in a forum that require moving around between tabs while creating a post - when your last 2 paragraphs you just typed disappears because the page reloads.

This continually causes me to have to pick up my MBP anytime I know I'll need more than a single tab. Either that, or have to copy and paste what I've already typed into Notes so I can paste it back after it reloads. It's a pitr. And in my brief test of the iPad 2, it wasn't much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Ahhh....makes more sense...I'm a very light weight browser on the iPad...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since the OP REAL question has been answered, here is one for Bob.

Would you say Atomic is as good as Safari at loading pages without any issues? I have just been using Safari but do have Atomic installed.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love the head gear! Does it really work to keep out the brain scans?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since the OP REAL question has been answered, here is one for Bob.

Would you say Atomic is as good as Safari at loading pages without any issues? I have just been using Safari but do have Atomic installed.

I have not really tested the two of them heads up - too much like work.

I use Atomic probly 55% and Safari 45% of the time. I really don't notice much difference between the 2 of them in speed or keeping pages in memory instead of re-loading. I prefer Atomic for the tabs instead of the 2 click method Safari is using and guess I like the appearance of Safari better.

The work of testing them both would require a fresh power on, loading the exact same pages, etc., etc. Other than Safari being tabless and all my imported bookmarks being an extra click away in Atomic, don't really have a complaint with either of them and hasn't been worth the time. Can't even say why I move back and forth between them to be honest.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The primary reason I downloaded Atomic - was for the ability to view full sites when I wanted to. I still seem to spend most of my time in Safari though. I would like to see some improvements in Safari including adding the ability to open a page in the background.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure on this but many snew features coming in Safari with IOS 5 including Tabbed Browsing. So maybe they will include all requested features. Hope so anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
On the iPad 2 - if Atomic didn't move too far down the application ladder, I don't get many reloads. I tend to have 5-6 tabs(At least) open. It seems if Atomic gets pushed past the first set of "running apps" I will have a reload on all pages when i switch to it. I've had 12 pages opened without reloading when swapping. Just tried it with 12 tabs opened off of popurls - went to facely, then went back to atomic, no reloads.

I like the fact that there are gestures and a full screen mode in Atomic. I find myself using Atomic as much as possible - 80%. I also found that you can identify as Mobile Safari iPad - and get this forum site to work right (instead of desktop Safari) - that way my webmail comes up in an iPad optimized way.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds pretty good Ivan, thanks for the report.

At this time, think I'm holding out to see what the next MBA refresh does. If it'll do all the stuff I use my MBP for and have backlit keys, I'm seriously considering that route and hang onto the iPad 1.

Reaction score
The vanilla iPad is plenty enough for the average user like me. I thought the iPad 2 came along way too quickly. Don't spend money on hype, even Apple hype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
I think you're nuts.

What are you going to do with an original pad? Who's gonna buy that?

A pad for each hand won't be very productive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think you're nuts.

What are you going to do with an original pad? Who's gonna buy that?

A pad for each hand won't be very productive...

Thats easy have family and friends still wanting to give me half what I paid for it hoping I will upgrade. I will wait and see what iPad 3 has to offer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.