In need of a printer for new macbook pro.

Reaction score
I recently bought a new macbook pro and now need a decent printer. What is everyone else using that is not an ink hog! What happened to the good old printers, that do just that. Now it is an Office All-In-One.
:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had good luck with HP but everyone will probably have a favorite or bad luck with this brand or another.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just bought an Epson Artisan 725. For the price, it's a good buy and has solid reviews.

I swore off HP inkjets after my last few dismal experiences with them. I'd say stick to Epson or Canon. I'm convinced that HPs are specifically designed to reduce your cartridge life and force you to constantly buy them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I just bought an Epson Artisan 725. For the price, it's a good buy and has solid reviews.

I swore off HP inkjets after my last few dismal experiences with them. I'd say stick to Epson or Canon. I'm convinced that HPs are specifically designed to reduce your cartridge life and force you to constantly buy them.

Epson is more or less the same way. I have 6 Cartridges for my Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and if one is low or empty it refuses to print until you put in a new one. A hassle especially when I forget to restock my ink supply. Cost close to 100 dollars for all 6 cartridges. >_>" Only use it for mock up of designs, and photos.

If I was printing text I would get a laser printer.

I have tried Lexmark, Epson, Canon, and HP.

Right now I'm using an HP Deskjet F4280 all in one, a Brother HL-2230 Laser printer, and the Epson mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just recently bought a wireless Epson NX420 for 100 bucks at Office Depot. It's fully compatible with any Mac along with it's wireless printing. Plus, ink cartridges are only $9 dollars, and last me just as long as my expensive cartridges, while still having excellent print quality. I would buy this again if I had to. Looks good too, and has the best scanner I've had yet. For 100 bucks? You can't go wrong!

ps: wireless printing is sooooo sweeeeet!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I quit using inkjet printers a long time ago. IMO there is no substitute for a decent laser printer. My current one is a Brother HL2170W (~$200 at Amazon); I can print to it over the network from all of our Macs and IOS devices (courstesy of Printopeia).
In my experience the consumeables cost and hassle is much lower with laser printers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Epson. I was using a Lexmark wireless. Gave me all kinds of inconsistent connection trouble and would not print from 'sleep' mode. Took a $100 loss and bought an Epson instead. The Epson has no connection problem or printing from sleep mode. Also comes with individual ink cartridges for each color. The new ones also has duplex printing. I recommend the Epson.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just recently bought a wireless Epson NX420 for 100 bucks at Office Depot. It's fully compatible with any Mac along with it's wireless printing. Plus, ink cartridges are only $9 dollars, and last me just as long as my expensive cartridges, while still having excellent print quality.

I got that exact same printer for free from Apple when I bought our iMac for the office. It is indeed a great printer but I'm wondering where you found cartridges for $9 ? Unless you're referring to refilled or compatible cartridges, they cost more than $9.00. I just checked on line and the genuine Epson cartridges are $12.00 each.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I got that exact same printer for free from Apple when I bought our iMac for the office. It is indeed a great printer but I'm wondering where you found cartridges for $9 ? Unless you're referring to refilled or compatible cartridges, they cost more than $9.00. I just checked on line and the genuine Epson cartridges are $12.00 each.

I just got a new cartridge at Office depot for $9.00. I might have overlooked a sale they might of had(?). Must of been a silent one because the ink box says "Epson T124120 DuraBrite 124," which lists for 12.99 on office's site. If you trade in other cartridges, you can get an extra % off the price. I couldn't use this savings though because I threw it out before realizing I could save even more on ink.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. I'll check with our local Office Depot. I hate to run out of ink in the middle of a project which is why I always like to keep some spares on hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The other good thing about Office Depot if you purchase enough they send you coupons that sometimes pay for a cartridge or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.