Going to mac..

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I'm hoping to learn more about Mac here! This week I'm planning to take the big step from windows to mac. But I had a few questions because I am not an expert at computers or mac.

First: Which laptop do I buy? I'm not a graphic designer or anything, the only thing I will use it for is surfing on the internet, writing some stuff down for school and record some music (using garage band I think?).

I think I should go for a Macbook or a MacbookPro 13". But I am not sure which to pick, will the normal Macbook satisfy my needs or will I need a MBP to keep up with updates/new OS..?

Second: I have heard that the new generation of macs has problems with connecting to the internet, is this true? Since that will be the thing I'll be using the most (Facebook, YouTube, school reports (research)).

I hope for a quick and positive response, because I didn't know where to open this topic, and I'm not a native speaker of English, I hope it didn't annoy any of you.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
MacBook or MacBook Pro - depends on your budget, the Pros do have better processors

Macs have trouble connecting to the Internet? Where did you hear that? - Apple would be in serious trouble if they managed to make computers that had trouble with internet access

OP
B
Reaction score
I can afford both really, but if I can save up 200 euros it would be nice. Someone told me, I don't really remember who did, but he was talking about the '11 or '10 MBP's I think. Not that they can't connect, but that the connection falls away often.

CGI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I am a recent convert myself. I chose the Macbook Pro 13".

I love the size. The power is more than I need. The OS is quality. Mac's build and touch pad are awesome. Great choice!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Usually the types of problems you are talking about can be traced to some specific setting or circumstance that needs to change. This is especially true for wireless networks. I can almost guarantee that if this were a widespread issue there would be a lot more chatter about it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the replies! The choice between MB and MBP still isn't made tho, but I guess that's a decision I'll have to make myself :).

OP
B
Reaction score
One last question: is it wise to buy either of the two at this moment, or will a new version come out soon?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Right now is an okay time to buy. The 2011 versions just hit in late Feburary. If you wish to save a couple $$$ and want to wait until around that time next year for the refresh, that is another option.

In regards to the MB vs MBP, the Macbook was not refreshed this year, if I am not mistaken. (maybe it will be refreshed later, not sore) So right now you have to weigh the strengths of the 2011 mbp which is its more powerful processor, a new data transfer port technology, and an HD webcam. Most of all, the best battery life yet with sandy bridge.

vs the 2010 macbook which is has none of the above (though its battery life is still quite good). that is to say nothing of the aesthetic difference. if that doesn't matter much to you, though, a 2010 macbook pro is still better than the macbook, and you could get one off the official refurb store for 899 right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Thank you very much! I think I'll be going for a '11 MBP. ;D
Actually Apple doesn't make an 11 inch MBP, it's smallest is 13 inches. The one I have and highly recommend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Just to weigh in here as a recent convert myself (27in 2011 iMac) I would perhaps wait and see what they decide to do with the Mac Book Air. The base one starts at the same price as a MacBook (1K US). But you'll also only get a 64gb ssd (current model), though you can just purchase an external. You'll also be giving up access to a cd drive, but with Lion coming out soon you won't need it.

I would wait and see what will happen with the MBA's as they are due to be refreshed within the next month or so. My guess is that they will come equipped with a sandy bridge Core i3, which though its a dual core would probably be more than adequate for your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
Rumor mill says that the next Airbook will be out in less than sixty days. Rumors are not always accurate, but if you would rather have an Airbook, than either the white Mac Book or Mac Book Pro, it is something to consider.

If you are not familiar, Apple has a habit of not letting on much in advance when the next version of a an model is about to come out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.