making noises after DROPPED!

Reaction score
I have a MacbookPro that I accidentally tipped off the side of a counter about 3-4 feet in height. It runs completely fine except that when I wake it up from sleep it makes loud noises that seem to be coming from the disc drive for about 10 seconds.

Other than this being annoying to me and others around me, is this a potential serious problem? I don't know anything about hard drives or logic boards but could there be damage in those areas? Can this be fixed?

It's about 2 years old so I'm assuming the warranty is up...

Help is much appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
I had a very similar problem and found out that I had bent the chassis of my MBP a little which meant that the disk drive would vibrate against the outer casing. It hasn't caused me any problems for the last 6 months.

Zigdog

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Regardless, if you don't have a backup of your HD suggest you make one ASAP. External HDDs are cheap are priceless if it keeps you from losing irreplaceable photos and files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Are you sure it's the hdd and not the cd-drive? If it's the hdd, you should do a backup(if you can) just in case, but I doubt it's the hdd. It's most likely that something in the cd-drive jarred loose, or possibly bent. If it's out of warranty, the cd-drive(optical drive) can easily be removed to check this out. If the noise is gone, you know the problem.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies....and yes I do actually think it's the cd-drive. Was just scared if that was damaged that other things would be too. I am not planning on removing it myself since I don't know anything about taking apart a computer. Definitely a good idea to backup the HD...haven't done that.

Zigdog do you just live with the noise then? It's pretty annoying.

I found this link which is exactly my problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/7058967?messageID=7058967

where people replaced the drive...does anyone know how expensive something like that would cost?

I'm scared to try putting cds in because one person posted that it wouldn't eject and made even more noise.

C

chas_m

Replacing the drive may do no good -- the reason its making that noise is that you bent the frame. Unless the repair people UNbend the frame, you're just going to have a new optical drive making the same noise.

And yes, DO NOT put any discs into the drive until you get this issue resolved!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
Mine isn't very loud. The only issue is that the CD-drive sometimes srtuggles to fully eject a CD. But yes, I just live with it.

Zigdog

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay yeah that makes sense that it's the frame that is bent. 2 days ago I opened it up and it didn't make the noise...and hasn't since! Everything seems to be fine so I'll just do a backup in case I decide to be clumsy again. Haven't tried putting any cds in but I don't use it much anyway so I guess I'll see what happens when it becomes necessary.
Thanks SO much for all the replies, I appreciate it!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.