Volume range on iPods?

R

Redbull

Morning,

I don't really listen to Music, but however recently, I've heard some great songs and bands I enjoy listening to for once!. Right, my question is, I have a low hearing difficulty than most people, do iPods have a good volume range particularly on its highest? If they are too quiet, will I need a good set of headphones to compensate? - before someone asks, I don't know anyone with an iPod, unfortunately.

I am looking at getting the Nano with 500 songs which is way ample for me.

Many Thanks,

Nicholas

OP
B

Badger

I find that my mini (and other iPods that I tried) can go far louder than I'm comfortable with. I've had hearing problems for years - primarily high frequency loss - but the iPod mini has proven to be much more enjoyable than other devices like a CD player or cassette player. I did get a set of Sony Earbuds to replace the included Apple models but that was because they stay in place. Over here most resellers have iPods demonstrators on display. Maybe you can find a dealer where you can test them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Usually, they do. I actually have blown out one ear phone and one is not as good, so it sounds low, so I selected all the songs in the library and ajusted the volume to +100% so the sound is double. Therefore you can have the volume very low on the iPod but is wayyy too high. Also, I use different headphones =).

OP
F

fco1922

Volume caps on European iPods

iPods sold in Europe (the EU) have "volume caps" on them. They were imposed after concerns raised in the EC about damage being done to hearing. The limit output and many people have complained about them.

You can remove the volume caps. Software to do so is available on the web to download. Go-pod (a European site) is particularly good. I've used the software very successfully. It removes the volume cap.

Redbull said:
Morning,

I don't really listen to Music, but however recently, I've heard some great songs and bands I enjoy listening to for once!. Right, my question is, I have a low hearing difficulty than most people, do iPods have a good volume range particularly on its highest? If they are too quiet, will I need a good set of headphones to compensate? - before someone asks, I don't know anyone with an iPod, unfortunately.

I am looking at getting the Nano with 500 songs which is way ample for me.

Many Thanks,

Nicholas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
is there an apple store anywhere near you? or even a reseller? i would go and find a place that sells them and ask to try a ipod out to make sure that you can hear it

OP
R

Redbull

coach_z said:
is there an apple store anywhere near you? or even a reseller? i would go and find a place that sells them and ask to try a ipod out to make sure that you can hear it

I suppose it would be advisbale. The nearest to me is London, about 2 hour train journey.

It is interesting to hear that EU headphone are restricted, thanks for that.

OP
G

gogreen

In the US at least the white earbuds are pretty loud. They are adequate enough to be able to listen to them while using my lawn mower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
gogreen said:
In the US at least the white earbuds are pretty loud. They are adequate enough to be able to listen to them while using my lawn mower.
Ok - you do no that doing that will ruin your hearing right?

If you have hearing issues, I'd consider getting a decent set of in-ear canalphones.
They block out ambient noise so you can hear your music without turning it up too high... Mr lawnmower might also want to look into them.

I use Shure's and never turn my iPod above 40% of the volume scale.
They sound much louder because they create a seal inside your ear, so the iPod is more than loud enough...

I've actually capped it via goPod to make the volume adjustment more sensitive for me to adjust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
when i'm alone, all the way sounds like speakers! it hurts my ears, but when i'm with other people i need to turn it all the way up or a little less

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.