iTunes library management question

Reaction score
First of all, hello, I'm new to the forum. I searched for my queston and can't find anything so I thought I'd post it!!

I use iTunes to manage my library. However my music folder (which includes the iTunes library - it's the folder that music goes to after I place it in the automatically add...) is 4GB larger than the actual iTunes library. My library is 140GB, it would be impossible to locate the missing songs from the library manually! :Cool:

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to locate what music files on the HD are NOT in iTunes so that I can add them or delete them and save some space?

Thank you in advance!!

My idea is to import the whole music folder but I dont know if it is going to duplicate my existing files apart from adding the new ones, and if it is going to mess tags, the artwork etc!!

Reaction score
Well, your first idea is a pretty good one, actually. If you haven't done it already, here is what that will do: It will copy your files over and should tell you about duplicates. If there is still a mess, you can sort out the duplicates when you open itunes again. Make sure you do this correctly, though. You may want to read this article first:
Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

long read, but well worth it.

your 2nd option, and the one I became fond of, is a 3rd party app. itunes is great for playing music, but leaves a lot to be desired in other areas. You won't have to switch to another music player... it's just there are programs that are perfect as 'support' for itunes. Backing up the library, organizing your files, etc.

IMO, the best one is called iRip. It will do everything you want, and more. You can find it on the app store: A free trial, and the full version is $19.95

Tagalicious and Tune Up are other applications I've heard great things about.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey Inabsentia, thanks for the post. And the article is very informative too!

I'll go for the first option but not yet cause it's gonna take ages :Mischievous:

As far as additional software, I've heard of some programs too! It's a good idea but I'm not sure I wanna pay to have my library managed...in the same way I would never let anyone mess with my CDs and records ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.