Migration assistant hangs to 1:17 left

Reaction score
I've transferred the contents of my old iMac to the new one. I use Firewire cable, and the old Mac is in firewire slave state (?).

I let the migration assistant run overnight, since it estimated the transfer to take an end before I wake up. When I did, I checked its state, it told 1 hr 17 minutes left. Now after 3 hours it still hasn't changed its mind.

Does it make any sense to wait anymore? Something else worth trying?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you make a Time Machine backup of the old iMac? Using Time Machine to transfer your data, applications, settings, and so forth is a better way to get everything on the new machine rather than using the Migration Assistant.

I just recently transferred everything from our old MacBook over to a new iMac using Time Machine. The time it took to do the transfer was around 30 minutes.

OP
F
Reaction score
Did you make a Time Machine backup of the old iMac? Using Time Machine to transfer your data, applications, settings, and so forth is a better way to get everything on the new machine rather than using the Migration Assistant.

I agree fully. The reason why I had difficulties was that I used the target machine during the transfer - I think. The positive side of it is that I ended up doing a fresh install, which is a better starting point. I have too much rubbish on my comp which has been hanging there for years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.