• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

macworld or Mac addict for first mag

Reaction score
I new to Mac's and I want to learn as much as possible , when I was learning the Pc's , I subscribe to Smart Computing and learned quite a bit.

Which would be more beneficial to me Macworld or Mac addict? Or which one is more similiar to smart computing?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Welcome to the world of Apple.

There are many great magazines out there for the Mac - Macworld, Mac Addict, MacFormat, iCreate (a good beginners magazine), Mac User and there must be others I have not mentioned.

I would buy one of each and see which one you find the most friendly to your learning style. They can be quite expensive so why not try a couple every month. Most come with free discs that have tutorials on them as well as other stuff.

Hope this helps
Paul

Reaction score
I get MacWorld, I find it very informative with easy to understand explanations. I have tried many of them but subscribe to MW for that reason.

Reaction score
I think if you sign up for a free trial of .Mac there is an offer to get a couple months of MacWorld free. At least I think that is where I got my free subscription.

J

jessica

I tried Mac World and Mac Addict at once. I subscribe to both now. One always says something that the other didn't. I like that. And they aren't too ad heavy which is the problem I face in my photo magazines.

U

UncSki1218

i get mac world. there both the same type of thing though. i just get mac world because i got the first 6 months free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
To be honest, I get both but only because they're free. I wouldn't pay for either. Why? Both have their content on the web anyway and everything they write about is already available online for free usually months before they even get around to publishing.

Print publication for the tech sector is useless. It goes faster out of date than the technology itself. By the time they write the story and publish their monthly magazine, the technology has moved on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I subscribe to MacWorld and MacAddict, the latter mainly for the occasional useful demo disc.

*side note: pphking, that avatar (the flashing red apple) is very annoying, IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
*side note: pphking, that avatar (the flashing red apple) is very annoying, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been thinking that for a while. Just never got round to changing it.
Thanks for making me pull my socks up.
Hope you like this better.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I received them both for a while, but then I cut it back to MacAddict only-- they seem to have more interesting and useful material, IMHO, plus the monthly demo disc is sometimes interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
pphking said:
*side note: pphking, that avatar (the flashing red apple) is very annoying, IMHO.

Yeah, I've been thinking that for a while. Just never got round to changing it.
Thanks for making me pull my socks up.
Hope you like this better.

Paul[/QUOTE]

That is much better, and very nice btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Thanks.

It's a little thing I am messing around with in Cinema 4d

N

NewbcaM

I've been reading macworld lately but macaddict is prettycool also. I'm in the same boat. I've used mac for 5 years on/off but never really learned more than I had to, you know I got comfortable (wink).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
cooljoe815 said:
I new to Mac's and I want to learn as much as possible , when I was learning the Pc's , I subscribe to Smart Computing and learned quite a bit.

Which would be more beneficial to me Macworld or Mac addict? Or which one is more similiar to smart computing?

TIA

Neither. I'd say go with iCreate. It's a Brit mag and is a bit pricey (about US $15 and issue) but worth it. It puts both Mac World and Mac Addict to shame....

Reaction score
I purchased macworld "total tiger" issue yesterday.
I liked it, seems to be more begginerish though but thats what i am so :)
Maybe it was just begginer beacuse it was a special issue covering tiger features but it was still good for me.

M

MartinAustin

I used to read MacAddict when it was first released, back when I was using my mom's PowerPC 75Mhz (that's all I remember about it). Pretty good mag at the time, but I can't say now as I don't have a Mac currently (but looking to get one).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.