MacBook Pro gaming question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 16gb wifi, iMac 21.5 3.2GHz i3 5670, 2008 MacBook, iPhone 3Gs
I'm in the market for a MacBook pro. Since money is definitely an issue, I was wondering what I could get away with buying and still get the performance I'm hoping for. I'm hoping to be able to do some serious graphics heavy gaming(#1 on the list is X3: Terran Conflict). I've only recently gotten into gaming and until recently my MacBook has been fine for my needs. Now it seems I'm going to need something with a bit more capability. It'll be my main computer for all other needs, but I definitely want to play graphics heavy games on it. Keeping a minimal budget in mind, what would be the best MBP choice for me? Also, I'm not a huge computer wiz when it comes to technical specs and lingo, so please just pretend you're explaining things to a small child or something.:Smirk: thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best MBP for gaming is going to be one that offers the best graphics and CPU speed. MacWorld Magazine just recently published benchmarks for the latest MBP machines. Go to their website and look for the article and you can compare which would be best for gaming.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the reply. I kind of assumed that the newer, more expensive MBPs will ultimately be the best for gaming. I've always been a Mac user but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to tech specs and such. I'm sorry, but things like "benchmarks" pretty much mean nothing to me at this point.

I guess what I'm asking is would a new but low-end or a used but mid-range MBP be something I could enjoyably play X3, CoD, etc. on? Would the FPS rate be acceptable? I'm just trying to not break the bank while still getting the gaming performance I want. Maybe that's asking a bit too much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
To be honest, if you buy a macbook for games i don't really see the point. Yes mine runs GTA4 fine on medium (Check my specs on the left), but these notebooks arn't made for this, they just run very hot when you play high end games (above 90 degrees Celsius). You would be better off with a iMac/Mac Pro since it'll be able to run better hardware and will run less hotter.

OR:
It hurts me to say this, buy a Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27" iMac i7 2.93 1TB 8GB 2011 15" MBP 2.2 256SSD 8GB iPhone4 32GB iPad 64GB 3G
For serious gaming there are few current MBP choices that have a 1GB video card, so under a budget it would be hard. 1GB is the jump off point for most serious games to run close to full graphics.

I would look at a generation or two older MBP's, they had some decent 512MB video cards.

Also be near a power connection, because the big video card going full bore creates heat and draws lots of power.

I wish you luck, serious gaming and any laptop usually equals $$$$

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay thanks. I'm even ok with getting a desktop(especially if a laptop is going to reach surface-of-the-sun type temperatures), and it doesn't have to be fresh out of the box new. Perhaps an iMac that's a generation or two old? I realize I'm going to be dropping some dollars no matter what, just trying to keep from dropping ALL of my dollars.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27" iMac i7 2.93 1TB 8GB 2011 15" MBP 2.2 256SSD 8GB iPhone4 32GB iPad 64GB 3G
I have a 2010 iMac and it runs World of Warcraft pretty well with the graphics turned almost all the way up.

I have a friend with a 21 inch model that travels for 2 or 3 months at a time to various jobsites and he made a transport case for his iMac. He refers to it as his "big" laptop, so thats a very viable option.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish I could rename this thread since my question has changed a bit. Also, I realize that the appropriate thread that this belongs in is no longer this one, but I don't want to break any forum rules by reposting in a different section.

Ok, so my budget has gone up a bit and I'm thinking about getting a new 21.5 inch iMac. I'm talking about the baseline, low end, but brand new. (can't afford the 27in and probably not the more expensive version of the 21.5") I've been trying to do research, but I seem to be coming across a lot of conflicting reviews of it's gaming capability. Some say it's awful, some say it's totally fine. I don't know what to believe and I want to be sure of what I'm getting before I spend the money. If anyone has comments on their experience with gaming on a new low end iMac, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
Wish I could rename this thread since my question has changed a bit. Also, I realize that the appropriate thread that this belongs in is no longer this one, but I don't want to break any forum rules by reposting in a different section.

Ok, so my budget has gone up a bit and I'm thinking about getting a new 21.5 inch iMac. I'm talking about the baseline, low end, but brand new. (can't afford the 27in and probably not the more expensive version of the 21.5") I've been trying to do research, but I seem to be coming across a lot of conflicting reviews of it's gaming capability. Some say it's awful, some say it's totally fine. I don't know what to believe and I want to be sure of what I'm getting before I spend the money. If anyone has comments on their experience with gaming on a new low end iMac, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I think in your case a second hand iMac with better specs would be a better choice. There are enough on the market that work just as new.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If your primary purpose is gaming, my recommendation is build a PC. you can build one that will play all your games on high for about £900. A MBP that does the same will cost you at least two grand.

If you want portability, look at Alienware. I just think a Macbook, for your uses, would be a waste of money, expecially if it is tight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.