Mac Mini Memory upgrade issues...

Reaction score
I own a Mac Mini (late 2009) 2.26 gig core 2 duo. Yesterday, i bought a new ssd drive and a 4gb ddr3 1066 corsair laptop memory stick to install in it to get a performance boost. After installing everything, i powered my mini and got beeping noises in intervals of 3, with no picture to the monitor. I figured it was the memory rather than the ssd. i first put the 4gb corsair in bank 0 (the underside) and put one of the 1 gig sticks that originally came with the mini in bank 1 (upper dimm). after that, i put the original memory back in and it worked fine. I then took the original memory back out and just put the 4 gig stick in bank 0 (underside dimm) and got the same beeping noise as before. I then thought to put the 4 gig stick in the upper dim rather than the underside, and it finally read the ram and works. Now i was told that i could use any 8500 laptop memory in the mini, and that my model supported up to 8 gigs. Did it not work because the under dimm cannot read 4 gigs or because u must have bank 1 filled if that is the only stick in the mini? also, did it not work with the extra 1 gig stick because the memory are not exactly the same model? Any information is much appreciated. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.