• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with new video camcorder Sony HDR-CX360V

Reaction score
I'm new to mac and recently purchased a sony hdr-cx360v camcorder. Great cam, but it doesnt work with imovie. I have imovie 9 version 8.0.6. I connect the camera via usb and nothing happens.

Do i need to install drivers? Not really sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mac osx 10.5.8
macbook 4,1 intel core 2 duo

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
From what I can see your camera has the capability of using SD cards. If you record on an SD card you can pull the card and use a USB card reader to transfer the video. I expect that Apple will eventually update their camera capatibility files for iMovie to include your camcorder, but until they do, this should work.

EDIT: I just noticed you are running Leopard, along with iMovie 9 (not sure if vers 8.0.6 is the latest--I'm not where I can easily check). Bottomline, make sure you keep current on updates as that is where the latest device drivers will be incorportated

EDIT 2: Still looking, but I have found that iMovie 9.0.1 exists for iMovie 9, and part of the reason for issuing it is camera compatibility. Don't know if there are any later updates yet.

EDIT 3: iMovie 9.01 is the latest for iMovie 9, vers 8.0.6 was from Mar of last year. Here is a link to the download, but you should also get it through Software Updater on your Mac
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1347

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Your camcorder records in AVCHD. You might find some help here:
Google

Reaction score
Considering getting hdr cx360v

My hdr cx350v recently failed and Best Buy will replace it with a comparable model. The HDR CX360V seems the same, however I am concerned I will continue to be able to use iMovie. I am running 9.04 on OS X 10.6.8.

I saw the above threads and am wondering if I will be restricted to SD card use also.

regards,

Mark

Reaction score
sony cx360v with imovie

I have the same issues. I can get the video files on to my Mac Mini but iMovie doesn't recognize the .MPG files the Sony creates. I have to use another program to convert them to Quicktime .MOV files and then import them into iMovie. It works but is a painful process.

Since I'm on an older Mini (single Intel processor) it can't import the HD videos from the camera at all, standard def only.

If anyone knows a trick to get the files directly off the Camcorder and into iMovie that would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.