Shutting down with fan on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" powerbook
Although I am not new to using notebook computers, I have always wondered if you should let the fan turn off before shutting down the computer? Often times when I am in a hurry I just shut down the computer even though the fan is still running. Is this harmful to the computer in the long run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
It should not be harmfull because 1 when the computer is off no more heat is being made 2 when apple notebooks get too hot they go into sleep mode and dont turn back on until they are cool again. When the laptop goes into sleep the fan would go off any way. Correct me I am wrong.

M

menace3054

Benjamindaines said:
It should not be harmfull because 1 when the computer is off no more heat is being made 2 when apple notebooks get too hot they go into sleep mode and dont turn back on until they are cool again. When the laptop goes into sleep the fan would go off any way. Correct me I am wrong.

has that ever happened to you? that has never happened to me in my 2 powerbooks and 2 ibooks.. i think it would scare me if it did happen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
menace3054 said:
has that ever happened to you? that has never happened to me in my 2 powerbooks and 2 ibooks.. i think it would scare me if it did happen
They are supposed to but its never happened to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.