Photoshpp 7 vs. Photoshop CS2.

A

AlexN

Hi,

Does the image compression quality improve dramatically from Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS2? I was told that there aren't that much new features added between 7 and CS2.

But for me, if the image compression quality has improved dramatically, I think it would justisfy the cost in my case.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
I don't think it really matters. Afterall, photoshop 7 or cs2 is pretty much the same. Unless you want new features which might save your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
They added some more short-cuts, time saving features some new tools... Things like that. Personally, I like it a lot better than 7.

OP
S

sursuciofla

TTheInfamous1 said:
They added some more short-cuts, time saving features some new tools... Things like that. Personally, I like it a lot better than 7.

I agree, the new features just improve things that took longer to do. The new features cut some of the things in half now or in thirds as far as time goes. 7 is nice but I prefer CS2. But as you posted on compression and that is the same as far as I know unless I totally missed it somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to mention they added Adobe Bridge. Its a really sweet way to browse your images. You can also do a lot more in this image browser (Adobe Bridge) than the previous image browsers in Photoshop. Really simple as well.

Reaction score
TTheInfamous1 said:
I forgot to mention they added Adobe Bridge. Its a really sweet way to browse your images. You can also do a lot more in this image browser (Adobe Bridge) than the previous image browsers in Photoshop. Really simple as well.
That brigde is very cool.I use it all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iNAP said:
That brigde is very cool.I use it all the time
Yea.. When I first got it I was kind of worried and I didn't like it (I just hate change). Then I used it. Now its one of the great added features in CS2.

OP
L

lil

I still use Photoshop 7, and Photoshop CS2 at work.

I find Photoshop 7 just fine for everything I need, the differences between Photoshop 7 and CS/CS2 are not numbering in the hundreds, but if it's a feature you want that is only in CS/CS2 - then that's the route.

Otherwise, version 7 is an excellent application still and the first version that runs on OS X natively. I see no reason for me to upgrade just yet.

That said, I tend to use Painter IX a whole lot more as my art (http://www.lilserenity.com/Type1.jpg) is more natural medium based with the odd CG piece now and then. As such my absolute need for the latest and greatest with Photoshop is not as high as it is with Painter.

Put it this way, Photoshop 7 to CS2 is not as major a change from Photoshop 2 to 3, or 5/5.5 to 6 :flower:

Vicky

OP
A

AlexN

lil said:
I still use Photoshop 7, and Photoshop CS2 at work.

Since you use both, do you notice the image compression quality improvement in CS2? For example, compressing .bmp to .png?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For someone who is into Photography quite a bit, I feel a great need to upgrade to "the latest and greatest" for Photoshop. Just like "lil" for instance, feels a great need to upgrade their Painter for their art... Because, "lil" is really into art as it seems by that awesome piece in that link. ;) (Great Work!!)

Here is a list of all the new features in CS2. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/newfeatures.html . I think it was well worth the money spent as it is a great use to me. If you don't feel its worth the upgrade for the added features and Photoshop 7 does what you need it to do, then don't bother. Check out the link, read up on it and give it a try. Maybe you will like the new adds and they may be helpful to you. Can't hurt to try the 30 day trial.

OP
L

lil

Aww thanks :flower:

If only I had a bit more time to do some more, anyway! Need not moan. Indeed you make an excellent point, I would jump at a Painter update in a heartbeat, so long as it didn't have a reputation for being buggy/unstable :flower: So in that case, that parallels completely with Photoshop in your instance and there are even a number of features I'd enjoy. However, instead of upping just Photoshop to CS2 I am seriously considering in the future Photoshop to CS2 Studio Standard (to get Illustrator and InDesign too).

That said I am presently rather enamoured with iWork... :flower: which would be substantially cheaper...

Myself - I have not seen drastic changes in image size between PS 7 and PS CS/CS2. I'll try and check out the file size difference for you today. Mind you most image formats will offer an improvement over .bmp to say .png like you say, though both use lossless compression (unlike say JPEG), BMPs only compression trick is RLE encoding. Things like GIF use LZW compression (bit like zipping the graphic except your using a compression method much like the LHA/LZX archive schemes), however that was a grey area till recently as Unisys' patent or something expired on the LZW mechanism. TBH - I'm not even sure what compression mechanisms PNG offers, I have to admit I most often save in JPEG or TIFF.

I'll try and find out though!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lil said:
Aww thanks :flower: However, instead of upping just Photoshop to CS2 I am seriously considering in the future Photoshop to CS2 Studio Standard (to get Illustrator and InDesign too).
Vicky
That's going to be a powerful tool in your shed. With the combination of those apps. you can do some serious work.

Half of the changes they have made I really do not get to use much. Most work I do is in RAW. The new RAW options are great. And I get so much use out of Adobe Bridge. I'm happy they changed the way you can browse through your whole computer with it.

To me, I don't see a "noticeable" difference with the compression of file formats. Its more of a "behind the scenes" thing. Just as long as my work comes out good and my photo correction runs seamlessly I'm happy. But to have the added features help. :)

Vicky, you hit the nail on the head with that buggy statement. If there's one thing I hate, its getting an app. that I use often, but then with new updates/upgrade its really buggy. Especially when you've used that same app. flawlessly in previous versions. BTW... Keep up the great art. Hope to see some more again. Drawing was always an art I wanted to get into. I just could never draw good ;) . But photography came to me easily.

OP
L

lil

Indeed, it will be fun, especially InDesign, I always enjoyed a spot of DTP and I love writing (http://www.lilserenity.com pretty much shows that) so, getting the best DTP package as I see it these days will be fantastic. That said, I have a bit of saving to do before I can afford CS2 Studio Standard :flower: At least I can get the Upgrade from Photoshop variant.

The RAW support is indeed something photographers will really appreciate there is no doubt about that, and the fuller support for 16bit colour is much more fully implemented in CS/CS2 than 6/7. Adobe Bridge does sound interesting, and one of those things I will need to play with to see how much I like it.

Indeed, unstable software is very annoying, especially if it dies on you just before saving! Photoshop 4 was the only unstable version I used, and it wasn't that bad, just not as reliable as Photoshop 3, 5 or 7. Painter has had its moments in the past but version IX (and the 9.1 upgrade) are very stable. Being a programmer myself, I know it is difficult to anticipate all scenarios in code to prevent crashes, but good error trapping is important. Thankfully we now have an incredibly secure foundation in OS X. I will upload some other pieces of my work and hoping to work on something today :flower:

Vicky

OP
C

cellardoor

I´m working with CS2 but there is a difference between PS7 and CS2. CS2 takes to long to boot. That makes me sick!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iNAP said:
My CS2 boots up in a second, well maybe 3
Same here. If you set up your scratch disks it'll boot up quickly as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cellardoor said:
What is scratch disks? Where can I set up them??
Photoshop >> Preferences and choose from the next menu. The first Scratch Disk will have start Up in it which is fine. Then just fill in the others if you have more HDDs or other locations for works in progress to be saved while you're working. It helps in how many times you can step back and so on. The manual will explain it a h3ll of a lot better that I can.
Sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.