Another failure in my 3 mo old MBP

Reaction score
Hey guy's, this is our first Mac and I've been getting good feedback and advice on this forum so I thought I would mention another issue to see what the long-time Mac users had to say.

We just got our Core i7 quad core 15" MBP back from Apple repair with a new hard drive after our 3 month old HDD failed and the computer wouldn't boot. We got the MBP back from Apple with a nice nick out of the corner of the bottom case near the milled out thumb recess. This was a bit frustrating but I was willing to try and put that behind us instead of making a big deal about it.

Two day's later the newly repair MBP will not take a charge. The magsafe charger started intermittently working 2 nights ago and not fails to charge more than it will charge. We've tried different outlets and a different house. I searched on this issue and it seems to be very common. I've also read of the magsafe chargers catching on fire. This is very frustrating to me we love this computer and when it works correctly it is great. The specs are awesome and for out photography needs this thing purely flies!

The Applecare rep I spoke with yesterday on the phone must have been new or something because he was simply lost. He said they're going to send us a new "battery" and will include a box to return the old "battery". By "battery" I guess he meant charger. I corrected him once, then a few minutes later he said our "battery" would be here tomorrow and that we will not have anymore issues. When we got the email about the repair it said we will be receiving and empty box to send out charger back and will be receiving a replacement later on. This is exactly opposite of what the rep told us. I'm not sure if he was new, but if he was maybe I should give him some slack.

My main question is, at what point should we start asking for a replacement computer. This top-of-the-line 15" MBP has had multiple failures in it's 3 months of life and we're getting a little tired of sending it off and/or sending parts of it off for repair when it is essentially brand new. The closest genius bar is over 1.5 hours away so it isn't very convenient. All we want is for this computer to work worth it's price. The Applecare rep was sure to tell me over and over how I should but the extended Applecare plan which sort of angered me since we're dealing with a slightly less than 90 day old computer. What would the Mac pro's do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Calmly and respectfully tell the manager at the Apple Store that you have had too many issues in a small amount of time and that you will only accept a brand new replacement. Electronics are not perfect, no matter who manufactures them. Sometimes things like this happen and you can get a "lemon". Apple is awesome when it comes to customer support and they will do what it takes to make it right. Just remember to not get too upset or rude with them. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I assume you don't have a local Apple Store you can visit? Sometimes meeting face to face can be more efficient.

As far as what has happened so far. I'm sure it is very frustrating & possibly confusing. Just "go with the flow". If the charger/battery issue does not resolve things...then call up Apple again...and explain things in reasonably friendly tone...and see what their next suggestion is.

As far as a replacement computer...in my humble opinion it's generally not a good idea to "ask" for a replacement computer...let Apple come to that conclusion on their own. If it's going to happen...it most likely won't happen because you suggest it early on.

Basically from info that has been gathered...Apple needs to exceed some sort of "cost threshold" trying to repair this computer (parts & labor)...where it's more cost effective to replace it than to try to repair it. The problems you're having may not be very expensive to repair...so it may take a while to exceed that $$$ threshold.

If you can get to a local Apple Store...more than likely you will be able to resolve things more quickly. If not...then shipping the computer (and/or parts) back & forth is the only option...which can drag things out...and be more frustrating due to the extra time it takes for the shipping.

Hang in there,:)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Two day's later the newly repair MBP will not take a charge. The magsafe charger started intermittently working 2 nights ago and not fails to charge more than it will charge. We've tried different outlets and a different house. I searched on this issue and it seems to be very common.

It's very common in machines exposed to liquid. In fact, more often than not, we find that the user neglected to mention that they spilled something when they complain of this issue.

Another common cause is damage to the MagSafe adapter's cabling (like an animal chewing through it, or it being tugged at repeatedly).

And finally, I think in many cases the adapter overheats because it's not given adequate ventilation (you'll notice that it does get extremely warm when in operation).

I've also read of the magsafe chargers catching on fire.

I've seen one instance of this in my time here at M-F. In that case, I was convinced that there was a short created in the MagSafe connector. You have to be cognizant that it's magnetic - and it's not unusual for it to gather little bits of cruft over time. I suggest routinely inspecting the connector for dirt and debris, both at the charger end and the port itself on the computer.

This is very frustrating to me we love this computer and when it works correctly it is great. The specs are awesome and for out photography needs this thing purely flies!

The Applecare rep I spoke with yesterday on the phone must have been new or something because he was simply lost. He said they're going to send us a new "battery" and will include a box to return the old "battery". By "battery" I guess he meant charger. I corrected him once, then a few minutes later he said our "battery" would be here tomorrow and that we will not have anymore issues. When we got the email about the repair it said we will be receiving and empty box to send out charger back and will be receiving a replacement later on. This is exactly opposite of what the rep told us. I'm not sure if he was new, but if he was maybe I should give him some slack.

I doubt he'll send you out a battery, as the battery on newer MacBook Pros is not considered user-serviceable (it actually requires a special tool to remove it). My guess is that they'll just send a new charger.

My main question is, at what point should we start asking for a replacement computer. This top-of-the-line 15" MBP has had multiple failures in it's 3 months of life and we're getting a little tired of sending it off and/or sending parts of it off for repair when it is essentially brand new. The closest genius bar is over 1.5 hours away so it isn't very convenient. All we want is for this computer to work worth it's price. The Applecare rep was sure to tell me over and over how I should but the extended Applecare plan which sort of angered me since we're dealing with a slightly less than 90 day old computer. What would the Mac pro's do?

Personally, I would first try resetting the SMC as described here:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Assuming that doesn't do the trick, I would schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar (this is critical as most Apple Stores are teeming with people and it can be difficult to have your machine looked at without an appointment).

I know it's a drag since the Apple Store is so far away, but I think that's going to be the best way for you to get satisfaction.

In many cases, Apple will just swap the machine out with a brand new one when there's been so many problems in such a short span. It's really no big deal for them as they will just factory refurbish the machine and sell it for a couple hundred dollars less than the cost of a new one. I would just make the case that you are a long drive away from a store and that you've had two incidents since you took delivery of the machine. But before you do that, see how things go with the new power adapter.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guy's. We went to a local Best Buy with Apple products and tested there display model chargers. They worked perfectly. Our's didn't. We emailed the Senior rep at Apple that we ended up speaking with after calling Applecare on the issue. He quickly returned the email and said he called the store we're going to goto (rather than exchange adapter via snail mail) to ensure that they had a new adapter for us. He assured that we would leave with a working package. We headed down there and met up with a super knowledgable "Genius" in the store. He grabbed our adapter and noticed immediately what was wrong. The magnetic end just spun around the cable with hardly any resistance. The new one is rock solid. We do not put unnecessary strain on the charger and he informed us that it must be a manufacturer's defect that manifested itself with the minor use that it has had. We walked out with a new adapter and all is good.

I hope everything holds together from now on and the extended Applecare is really really looking very appealing at this point. This machine is very expensive and it seems like it would be worth it. And I'm saying that being one of those that NEVER believes paying for extra coverage is worth it.

One thing worthing noting here is this: Go check out the 85W charger reviews on Apple.com here Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (for 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro) - Apple Store (U.S.) With 300 reviews, it has TWO stars. TWO! All of the reviews say how crappy this adapter is. This adapter may make the extended Applecare worth it by itself! The Genius at the store twisted a little on the connector and it pulled right off showing bare wires afterwards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.