HELP! Audio plays through both my headphones and speakers...

Reaction score
I'm running a white macbook OS X 10.5. I just plugged my headphones in to sit back and listen to some music when the guy next to me asked if I'd turn down my speakers. I'm thinking how can he hear my headphones?! Turns out my audio is playing through both my built in speakers and my headphones at the same time... How is this even possible? I thought the sound cards on these laptops are one way? I've gone into my system settings > Sound > Output and can see that when I plug in my headphones the output changes from internal speakers to headphones. So how can I change this so just my headphones are the only output?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No setup should be required.

Maybe a dumb question but is the headphone jack properly seated? Is it pushed in all the way?

OP
T
Reaction score
I was thinking that might be the case, so I pulled it out just a tiny bit and it ends up killing all my audio and my output source says digital. Maybe my audio jack just isn't long enough cancel the internal speakers, but it's still weird that my output source says Headphones.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the plug goes far enough in to trigger the change to headphones I doubt the length of the plug is the problem. You could try either restarting or logging in to another account to test but I suspect there is a problem with the headphone jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Have you tried another headphone jack?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.