imac/mini dilemma, new options

M

msett

Some may know I am still at a dilemma at what to get. A imac g5 or mac mini? Some say wait for intel ya know and some say dont wait as it will still be powerful and supported for a good while. So thats not really a question now. I new option I have is just buy mac mini and hook it up to exsisting lcd and mouse/keyboard. I am 16, limited income but I have a job making 450 a month now. Anyways mac mini paid off by christmas. Then come next summer when intel macs are out I would be in better shape to buy also becuase I will save more money for down payment for loan through parents. haha! But my dad brings the point, well getting the Imac G5 is a really good powerful computer. So then buying the Mac Mini would be buying something just to buy something. I really want a new toy to play with for now and get using macs more again. But will Mac mini be powerful enough to do anything for me. Itunes/photos and word processing, internet browsing and some gaming. Now the gaming thing is bad for it since it has no video card. I want to play games like Sims2 and so forth. So do you think I should wait 2-3 months and buy Imac G5. Probably not intel for awhile. Buy mini and it would do mostly what I want, then buy Intel next year sometime. Or buy nothing and just wait for who knows how long.

Matt
Sorry again

Reaction score
It's a decision only you can make. Put your money aside till you have enough to buy what you really want, If you waste on one that is not the performance your wanting, then it will be that much longer till you can afford bigger and better.Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
i dont think sims2 will run on a mac mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
The mini is cool for internet browsing, word processing etc, but the gfx card is quite low end if you want to play games. But the game should still work on the mini since it meet the system requirements.

OP
M

msett

Thanks. Thats what I thought. I think if I am going to buy now I will get imac. I am going to wait a month and see if I still really want it. I dont need it right now or really wont ever need it. When I really want it I will get imac probably. Even possible I will wait for intels. Who knows. Thanks for help.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
msett said:
Thanks. Thats what I thought. I think if I am going to buy now I will get imac. I am going to wait a month and see if I still really want it. I dont need it right now or really wont ever need it. When I really want it I will get imac probably. Even possible I will wait for intels. Who knows. Thanks for help

Well, whatever you decide, I hope you are pleased with your purchase :black:

Off-Topic somewhat.....And remember, even after a month, your threads will still be here, so you can update them instead of starting yet another new thread on the same topic and same question....

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23638

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23620

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23659

OP
D

danielbruzual

I just noticed that all the xp forums out there are related to troubleshooting, and mac forums are about praising macs, hehe

OP
M

msett

Ok. Sorry. I didnt know if post would get enough attention already having a bunch of posts. I will just update now more often. I want the Imac G5. I just need to think if I really want to pay it right now.

Matt

OP
B

BEEEsH

msett said:
Ok. Sorry. I didnt know if post would get enough attention already having a bunch of posts. I will just update now more often. I want the Imac G5. I just need to think if I really want to pay it right now.

Matt

I say buy a mini with whatever you want in it (enough to get you by) then buy yourself a nice monitor(LCD). When the new mac-intel machines come out, wait and see how they do, then buy one based on what you've seen/heard/experienced.

What do you do with the mini?
Turn it into a media center!!!

OP
M

msett

Media Center is cool but much for me. I just think if I am buying something I would get Imac. The thing about Mini is no graphics really and not a whole lot of power. I already have lots of computer so buying one for internet/word processing would be sorta a waist for me. I am just going to wait and see, possibly will get Imac if I get anything unless mini's are updated.

Matt

OP
B

BEEEsH

msett said:
Media Center is cool but much for me. I just think if I am buying something I would get Imac. The thing about Mini is no graphics really and not a whole lot of power. I already have lots of computer so buying one for internet/word processing would be sorta a waist for me. I am just going to wait and see, possibly will get Imac if I get anything unless mini's are updated.

Matt

I do desktop publishing type work on my mini. I think waiting is a good thing because there gonna role out new models this winter/spring.

OP
U

UncSki1218

definetly go imac. i just got my new one. i wanted a ac so bad i was going to just save up and get the mini faster. i worked for twice as long and got a sick imac. it was totally worth the wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.