• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

partition drive

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what a partition drive is and why it is necessary? I am extremely frustrated because the project drive I am working on has hundreds of free GB of storage, but I can't log and transfer more files for my project because I get the message that my partition drive is full. But I don't see any video files on the partition drive. I can't understand why when you are working exclusively on one drive, the computer tells you are out of space on another drive that you have not even been working on. Thanks.

Reaction score
Go into disk utility...

Think of a hard drive like a file cabinet... and a partition like a drawer in that file cabinet... which has folders in it.... and files within those folders...

Your hard drive can have one large partition, or two , three... etc... your choice.

OP
R
Reaction score
How do I avoid the partition? I am trying to log and transfer to a project that is in a hard drive with a ton of space, and yet I get the message: "The volume [partition] is about to run out of disk space. The transfer queue has been paused. Clear some space." I can't find anything in the partition that indicates that anything is stored there for my project.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What program is this? Also how much space do you have free on your boot partition (the one containing OS X)? It sounds like this is some version of Final Cut or similar program running out of room.

OP
R
Reaction score
The "boot" drive, which I am assuming is my "project drive" has 465 GB capacity, with 184 GB available. Its format is "Mac OS extended." I am assuming this is the computer's hard drive? The volume where it is telling me I am out of space (called, "+") has 465 GB capacity, with 670 MB available. Its format is "Mac OS Extended (journaled)". Thus the contradiction: if both of these have 465 GB capacity, why does one have only 465 MB available, while the other has 184 GB available? And why does the Volume "+" drive show nothing inside it indicates there is anyting on it related to my project?

If I follow this "scratch disk" thing correctly, a scratch disk is a seperate folder created from your hard drive on which you store and edit your FCP project and its associated files and meta info. Which begs the question: if the scratch disk is created form the hard drive, and linked to it, why do you need one at all? Why can't everything be done on the hard drive alone? You don't need a scratch disk to store and work with jpeg photos, MP3s, documents, etc. on a PC.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Those two partitions are indeepndent of each other as far as the computer is concerned. It is entirely possible for one to have several GB available and the other to have far less.

Scratch disks are used by a variety of graphics, audio, and video editing programs to hold temporary files associated with projects. They can be in separate folders on a drive or on a completely separate hard drive or partition. Most of the programs I am familiar with have settings in their preferences to allow users to control where the scratch disk will be located.

This is common on both Mac and PC platforms. While some of these programs will run without dedicated scratch disks most look to create such workspaces particularly when rendering files.

Not being much of a Final Cut user it sounds like the scratch disk space is not being released for some reason. I'll have to leave that part of the question to someone who has more experience with that program.

C

chas_m

This was asked -- and answered -- in your other thread. Don't make new threads to discuss the exact same problem you started another thread about. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.