Unable to Locate App/File to Uninstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, i5, 2.83GHz, 8GB Ram; 17" MacBook Pro; iPad 3
I am having a problem locating 1) an app to uninstall; and 2) a file to uninstall. I'm getting error messages from each, but they seem to be hiding. I've looked in the Applications folder; done a Spotlight search in Finder; and even tried to find them with MacKeeper, in order to uninstall them, to no avail.

The app is named "Unsanity Application Helper".

The file is "com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist" which is supposedly in my Users/Library/Preferences folder. It does not seem to be there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

M.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Telling us what the error messages are along with what are you doing when you get the error and what version of OS X you're running would be helpful.

Try:

System Preferences - Accounts - highlight your account - click on Startup - remove Unsanity.

From my recollection and you're running Tiger or Leopard, Unsanity also puts an icon for itself in System Preferences. Go there to remove it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More Details

Bob --

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your initial suggestions, but the problems remain.

With regard to the Unsanity App, here is the message I get on booting up (obviously, you'll see I'm running an app called DrivePulse, which I've found to be useful and hassle-free, except for this):

'Application Incompatibility

"Unsanity Application Enhancer" has known stability
issues and is incompatible with DrivePulse. Please
check with the vendor for an update, or disable it.'

Also, any ideas regarding the "iphotomosaic.plist" error, which persists in causing alerts telling me to remove it and then verify permissions?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still need more details - What version of OS X are you using?

Is the unsanity app not listed in your startup items?
Does it not have an item on the bottom row of System Preferences?
Has it been installed previously and then you dragged it to the trash instead of uninstalling it properly?

What are you doing when you get the error for iphotomosaic and have you run repair permissions? Have you tried changing your screensaver to none to see if that error goes away?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Look inside your User (Home) folder in the Library folder. The likely locations are either Application Enhancers or Application Support. I think the Unsanity stuff is in Application Enhancers but can't be sure. That folder is empty for me.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running OS X 10.6.7.

There is no listing anywhere for the Unsanity app, no listing in System Prefs, nothing in any Library subfolder. Yet is continues to generate the error, which is only an annoyance, but still an annoyance.

Reaction score
Look in ~/Library/LaunchAgents and/or /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons.
And of course /Library/StartupItems.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it is the Unsanity Application Enhancer that's causing issues, reinstall it and uninstall it properly following the instructions here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.