MacBook Power-Up Issue

Reaction score
Yesterday, while my MacBook clamshell was shut and in sleep mode, the battery died out. Ever since I charged it with the AC Adapter, it's behavior has changed in two ways -
(a) When I shut the clamshell the notebook goes in to sleep mode, which is normal. However, when I re-open the clamshell, it does not automatically come on. I have to press the power button to start it again
(b) To power up the notebook, it does not respond to pressing the power button once. I have to keep it pressed for a few seconds till the power light starts to blink and only then does it come on

What could be the reason for this happening? Possible solution?

thanks,
Kunal

OP
T
Reaction score
The reason I've posted this here is I'm unsure whether it's a hardware or OS issue. Apologies if it's the wrong forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Somehow your other post has gotten lost in the shuffle between forums.

Let's continue from this forum and this thread....

You stated that you reset the SMC but it did not cure the problem. A SMC reset should have worked to restore the power button and sleep feature. Let's try this time to do a PRAM reset. See this LINK. If that doesn't work, your battery may be acting up. How old is the battery and how many charge - recharge cycles are on it?

Post back to this thread.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey,

Tried the PRAM reset just now - hasn't worked either.
My MacBook is exactly a year old with its original battery. Its health is 95% and cycles are 194

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The battery is likely OK then. Is your MacBook still under warranty or extended Apple Care? If it is, take it on in and let Apple run a diagnostic on it. Like I said above, that should have been resolved by a SMC reset. Of course if something else is wrong that's not going to work. It could be the DC input board acting up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.