Mac Mini superdrive is broken and i need windows installed

Reaction score
My mac mini superdrive has decided it won't work any more and i need to install windows again on my bootcamp partition. Does anyone know whether it is possible to do this via an external USB CD/DVD drive???

i don't want to fork out for one only to discover it does not work and i have to get my mac mini fixed anway. Would appreciate any help on this matter including any other ideas about how to get windows back up and running on my mini as its an essential part of my setup.

Any info would be great. Thanks. I'm installing XP by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
yes you can use a external dvd drive, i do it all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not according to Bootcamp Assistant. Must be an internal drive to install Windows. Windows is designed not to be installed on an external drive as a anti-piracy measure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
Not according to Bootcamp Assistant. Must be an internal drive to install Windows. Windows is designed not to be installed on an external drive as a anti-piracy measure.

He's talking about using a external DVD drive to install windows onto a internal drive. His internal DVD drive is broken. You can do this....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
yes you can use a external dvd drive, i do it all the time

Have you actually installed Windows using Boot Camp from an external drive? You can certainly do it on a Windows machine by selecting to boot from an external drive in the BIOS. However, the Boot Camp assistant doesn't work that way as it expects the bootable Windows CD or DVD to be able to boot from the machine's optical drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that's not what I said. See the following thread and follow directions. Especially look at Post # 8. LINK

It's a bit complicated but it does work. Other than that, you have to replace your optical drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.