S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
Ok, so I don't know much about optical ports, never really had any hardware to use them, other than my Mac Pro.

I have a couple receivers and nice set of polk audio speakers that I'd like to hookup to my Mac Pro, instead of the dinky 2.1 system I'm currently using.

The main reason I want to use optical is so I can leave my current set hooked up for when I'm not watching a movie or listening to music. Adium is great, but I don't need it in Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. ;D

Can I do that with the optical out on my Mac Pro and if so, what size and what type should I get?

Thanks for any help.

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
Awesome so a 5.0mm is what I want then.

That answered my question.

I hooked up all the audio equipment tonight just to test it out and man it sounds so much better than what I'm currently running. Now I can't wait for the cable to arrive.

Reaction score
So... I've been looking at this option too...

Is there any difference between this cable and the expensive stuff? (like Audioquest)
Has anyone here actually listened to both and have an informed opinion?

Thanks,
Greg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Here's the thing about optical cable if its working then you are getting all you can and
yes when I was younger I bought into the high end cables as I took more interests in
the technical aspects of audio video gear I realized I bought a lot of snake oil. Funny
thing about the brain if you spend more for something most of the time it will work
overtime trying to justify it. So yes I have two cables one by Monoprice and the other (will not mention name that I paid a rediulous amount years ago) in a blind A/B test you can not tell the difference.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ditto. I too have purchased snake oil a time or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.