Can't access system preferences

S

spacemannorway

Hi guys,
I've been searching around on this site whenever I've had some questions about my mac, but now I finally need to post something. I inadvertenly placed my applications folder in the trash, but quickly realized my mistake and moved it back to where it's supposed to be (long story, not really important). My problem is that ever since then I've been unable to access the system preferences on my computer, and that has proven to be a bit of a problem. I did some searching around and found this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14950&highlight=system+preferences and I have a feeling that the same thing that worked for this guy might work for me (having someone send the file). If anyone here would be willing to give me a hand or has any other suggestions, please let me know. I can PM you with my e-mail and try to get this all figured out.
Thanks in advance.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Hello spacemannorway and welcome to the forums!

You can get it back by using Pacifist to get it off the installation discs. Open Pacifist, and click "Open Mac OS X Install Packages".

Go to Contents of OSInstall->EssentialSystemSoftware->Essentials->Applications.

or

Go to Contents of OSInstall->Essentials->Applications.

Highlight System Preferences.app, then click Install in the upper part of the window.

That should do it, I believe.

OP
S

spacemannorway

iWhat said:
Hello spacemannorway and welcome to the forums!

You can get it back by using Pacifist to get it off the installation discs. Open Pacifist, and click "Open Mac OS X Install Packages".

Go to Contents of OSInstall->EssentialSystemSoftware->Essentials->Applications.

or

Go to Contents of OSInstall->Essentials->Applications.

Highlight System Preferences.app, then click Install in the upper part of the window.

That should do it, I believe.
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'll give that a shot.

Edit: Worked perfectly! Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.