Home username

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I recently (about a month ago) changed to Mac OS after a long time of doubting, and must say I am very pleased with it. However, I purchased a demo device (that is flawless as a new one) because of a considerable price discount; BUT only one 'problem' with this: the home name (with the house icon) was set to the name of the store. I would very much like to see this changed to a name I chose, so I went online to look how to do so because I couldn't find it for myself. This is what I came up with from the apple site and what I did: I logged in as root user and "changed" the name under /users as I would change any other folder's name, all went well, I logged out and logged in as my regular account again only to see all my settings reset to factory settings, and to find a new folder under /user with the name I had given to my "home" folder. Plus, the folder I wanted to change the name from, is still there with the house icon, set as my home folder, with an unchanged name lol. I have no reason to panic though, everything I downloaded, favorited and installed is still in that new folder, but you can imagine that the result is not what I had in mind. I hope I have made a clear sketch of the situation in order to ask you this: any advice from you guys how to do this?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Got the system disc that came with the machine? If so erase the hard drive and do a clean install setting things up as you want them and not some third party. Always the best with a demo, used or pre-loved machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks mate, but that seemed a bit too much effort for what I wanted to do. I kept digging on Google and eventually came up with this solution: I logged in on root again, clicked my main account and selected advanced options, then I changed the location of my home folder to the one I created earlier tonight. I clicked ok, rebooted and all is fine now and my home folder is the one I created. Joy! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.