3 Options, which one is the best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen
I am planning to make the switch this summer to Mac. Being as a college student, I won't need that much speed but I do need a laptop that last 4 years and an Ipad to take notes during class. I have come up with 3 options, in which the price differs a little but is mostly in the same ballpark. Here are my options.

1st Option:
13" MacBook (Core 2 Duo) w/ stock specs
And an Ipad 64GB White

2nd Option:
13" MacBook Pro (i5) w/ stock specs
32GB Black Ipad

3rd Option
13" MacBook Pro (i7) w/ stock specs
16GB Black Ipad

These are my three choices. My budget is $1899 and I can't go over.

Reaction score
Personally, I would go with option 3.

Really the only difference is the iPad size...even 16 GB is nice, and it does the same thing that the other iPad's do. The difference is you will get an amazing laptop which is MUCH better than option 1 (C2D) and definitely better than option 2 (i5)

Take a look at your needs and wants. Is it important to have storage space on the iPad? If yes, maybe option 2 will be most effective because the i5 is still a very nice machine.

If you can afford the newer MBP, I would definitely get one of them over a C2D machine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would go with option 2.

There isn't that much real performance difference between the i5 and i7 13" MBP, and unless you go crazy 32Gb should be more than enough for your iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
2nd Option:
13" MacBook Pro (i5) w/ stock specs
32GB Black Ipad

I think this is a good balance.
The first one no simple bc you said you want to future proof for 4 years and the core2duo is now out. Not saying it want do it, but the i series is is the latest and moving forward.

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think bentharbour wins the fastest typist contest between the three of us. :)

EDIT: Although, so far we are out voting him two to one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How much space are you going to need on the iPad? If you only need 16GB, get that option. If you're going to need more, get more. Essentially, go with the option with the best notebook taking into account your iPad space needs. There's no point going with option 2 if you don't need 32GB for the iPad - take the 16GB and the better notebook.

If you're only going to be doing note taking on your iPad (or use it as a machine for light campus work), why would you need more than 16GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I might get skewered for this, but I have to put this out there: Getting an iPad for the sole purpose of taking notes during class is a bad idea, particularly in your case since you're getting a very portable notebook anyway.

Typing on that touch screen isn't terrible, but don't expect it to even compare to typing on something with a keyboard. Now if you go out of your way and buy a keyboard dock for it, you've suddenly lost most of the portability advantage the device has over a MacBook. The bottom line is a MacBook Air/Vanilla/Pro will be far better for taking notes during class, especially in your case since you seem to have decided you're not getting one larger than 13 inches. And by not buying an iPad, you can afford to buy nicer options on the MacBook or some nifty peripherals. You could even (gasp) save the money.

So my suggestion is Option 3, but without the iPad and with something else.

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, thanks for all the reply's. To answer some of your questions, I do not have a music library, and in fact, I hate listening to music but more so enjoy playing it (thats why I have real instruments). I think I might go with option 3, despite it being $200 more than the other options but I think it will suit me well. The main thing for the Ipad is being able to view textbooks using PageBurst(a college app) and checking email. If it can do that, then I'm happy. :)

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might get skewered for this, but I have to put this out there: Getting an iPad for the sole purpose of taking notes during class is a bad idea, particularly in your case since you're getting a very portable notebook anyway.

Typing on that touch screen isn't terrible, but don't expect it to even compare to typing on something with a keyboard. Now if you go out of your way and buy a keyboard dock for it, you've suddenly lost most of the portability advantage the device has over a MacBook. The bottom line is a MacBook Air/Vanilla/Pro will be far better for taking notes during class, especially in your case since you seem to have decided you're not getting one larger than 13 inches. And by not buying an iPad, you can afford to buy nicer options on the MacBook or some nifty peripherals. You could even (gasp) save the money.

So my suggestion is Option 3, but without the iPad and with something else.

I thought about that, but I have a feeling I will regret not buying an Ipad even though I won't be taking use of all its good features. If I chose against the Ipad, it would be the MacBook Pro 15'' model.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Quoted because (s)he makes a very good point.

Why not simply buy the 13" now, give it a chance as your only device while in school and then, should you still feel the need for an iPad, purchase it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Option 2 simply because future apps could start getting much larger in size and you never
know what you might want to load down the road. I went with a 32gb and good thing I have 13gb left of free space so a 16 would have forced me to leave some things off and
a 64 would have been a waste of money a year later.

Reaction score
I think bentharbour wins the fastest typist contest between the three of us. :)

EDIT: Although, so far we are out voting him two to one.

WINNER! haha

my suggestion was slightly on the fence, simply suggesting the OP must take a look at his needs!

More importantly, I have been working my fingers out lately in order to speed up my typing for situations just like this :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
I would get #2 with the 16 gb iPad instead of 32 gb, use the leftover cash for some nice cases to protect them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 800 Mhz PowerPC, 2 GB ram, 64 Gb SSD, 10.5 OSX • Iphone 4 • Ipad • Apple Tv • iPods :) •
If we are not done suggesting,

I would recommend the MBP with the I7. If your eligible for an upgrade (or if you already have one) get an iPhone. I use my iPhone for pageburst and I had enough for a better Apple aswell. I don't know. If I had to pick an option it would be 3.

C

chas_m

Actually, iPad + case that lets it stand up + bluetooth keyboard (or iPad dock keyboard) actually makes the iPad quite the little lean mean note-taking machine.

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If we are not done suggesting,

I would recommend the MBP with the I7. If your eligible for an upgrade (or if you already have one) get an iPhone. I use my iPhone for pageburst and I had enough for a better Apple aswell. I don't know. If I had to pick an option it would be 3.

See, the thing is though is I don't have a data plan on my current phone. And you can't get the Iphone without one. Plus, I can put Pages on my Ipad. I have decided I am going with the i7 laptop w/ the 16GB Ipad.

Just wondering, how many mb is the average app size? (I don't have a music library so it would mainly be used for apps and email checking)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
See, the thing is though is I don't have a data plan on my current phone. And you can't get the Iphone without one. Plus, I can put Pages on my Ipad. I have decided I am going with the i7 laptop w/ the 16GB Ipad.

Just wondering, how many mb is the average app size? (I don't have a music library so it would mainly be used for apps and email checking)

16GB iPad and you are already worried about storage and you havnt bought it yet. Just saying ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're all over the place in terms of size. Take a look through the App Store to see for yourself. You don't have to worry about 16GB being insufficient though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
I know this isnt on your list of options, but for portability coupled with power try considering the new macbook air which should be out soon with the new core i cpu, you could couple it to a larger monitor for extended periods at home if you desire.

Reaction score
A laptop and ipad seems like overkill for college. I would put the ipad money in the bank and bring just a laptop to uni. If, once you're there, you find you can't live without an ipad get the money out and buy one*. I can't help but think there's better stuff to spend an extra $500 on in college than a second computer.

It's not on your list but I'd very happily recommend a MacBook Air to new college students although it's better to wait for the update. I'll second the suggestion to add an external monitor.

* (16GB, why get anything else?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.