Help! How do i install os on new macbook hard drive!

Reaction score
Old hard drive crashed. Bought/installed new hard drive. How do I install OSX Snow Leopard on new hard drive? I am absolute novice with MAC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
You need the two disks that came with you mac.
Insert the one labelled install disk one into the laptop then start it up.
From there it's simple onscreen instructions as far as I remember.

Let us know how you get on
Zigdog

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Don't forget that you may also need to format the new HD. As Zigdog mentioned:

- you need boot your computer (insert disk, hold down "c" key) from the gray disk #1 that came with your Mac when new (or a compatible full install OS disk)
- if you need to format the new hard drive you will need to launch Disk Utility to do the formatting (Mac OS Extended Journaled)
- then proceed with the OS install.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the input...Bought Mac from a friend of a friend, therefore no gray disk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all, thanks for the input...Bought Mac from a friend of a friend, therefore no gray disk.

Ok then...the first thing we need to know is what model Mac do you have? This will let us know what OS install options you have.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Black MacBook. On the old hard drive I had OSX Snow Leopard installed. I had a Mac & More store do it was crazy expensive and would like to try to do this myself. I am fairly proficient with Windows and do this stuff for my desktops and other laptop...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. On the old hard drive I had OSX Snow Leopard installed. I had a Mac & More store do it was crazy expensive and would like to try to do this myself. I am fairly proficient with Windows and do this stuff for my desktops and other laptop...

Thanks for the info...I wanted to be sure if you had an Intel based Mac computer or not. Since you do (and don't have the original gray install discs)...your best option is to get a $29 dollar OS 10.6 install disk from your nearest Apple retail store...or purchase it online from Apple.com or elsewhere.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I have the following: Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD Version 10.6.3.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info...the cd drive kept ejecting the installation cd...so I took it to the Mac & More store...hopefully they will be able to solve the issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the info...the cd drive kept ejecting the installation cd...so I took it to the Mac & More store...hopefully they will be able to solve the issue.

It's always possible that the DVD drive on this black MacBook is bad...or there's a problem with the Snow Leopard install DVD.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.