Can anyone help - weird problem...

Reaction score
Hi all,

My spec is 2.3GHz Power PC G5 Mac OSX Vers 10.4.11. 4.5 GB RAM
Over the weekend I got back from a weeks holiday and powered up my Mac. Normally I keep it on 24/7 and have not had any problems.
On three occasions yesterday while it was left alone or in sleep mode the fans went very loud and the screen would not come back up.
The only way to stop the fans was to hold in the start button for several seconds until it powered down and restart it up again. At one point on restart it did say I needed to restart as max os x had quit unexpectedly.

Now today I had to go out for six hours so I set itunes to play a long list of songs my thinking being that if the mac is busy doing something it wont go to loud fans and fail, so I come back after six hours out and yes its fine still playing the playlist and working ok.

anyone got any clues? I am worried if I leave it idle the same problem is going to happen again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Maybe the Restart was what it needed ???

By the way, lots of people think they have a "weird problem". You'd be better off with a descriptive title that describes your issue. That way, someone with specific knowledge of the problem could drop in and help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.