clean my macbook

Reaction score
hi, i am newbie here so nice to meet u all.
I am using Macbook Pro. i got a problem with the memory free space. I suddenly realise that my memory fall down and I think it because I am trying to bootcamp window into my mac.

When installation window XP it failed and now it stuck the memory space inside bootcamp. did anyone know how to solve this problem ? it will be a great help for me. note: when every time I am going to bootcamp it tell me to put window installation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot your MBP back to OS X. Open the Boot Camp Assistant, and select create partition. Now select "restore". You'll receive a warning that everything on the Windows partition will be destroyed. Select OK. The space will be returned to your disk and the Windows partition will be removed.

OP
D
Reaction score
hi chscag, the thing make me confuse is when i want to restore. The first thing show in the boot camp assistant is the introduction and after i click on continue, it show Download windows support software. it got two optional.

1. Download the Window support software for this Mac.
2. I have already downloaded the Windows support software to a CD, DVD, or external disk.

either of the alternative i am chooses it show not enough free space ( at least 10GB) but my memory still have 26GB free space.

Note: before that i failed to installation window on it and cause turn off the power while process.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand what's going on. The Boot Camp Assistant is telling you that you do not have enough free continuos space to create the partition. Even though the hard drive has enough space, it's not continuos. In other words, the free space is fragmented.

You're running tight on space anyway. Even if you installed Windows successfully, you would be close to having no room on the drive left over. If I were you, I would not install Windows until you have a larger hard drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
so basically my memories is not enough. no worries i am using parallal destop. I still got another question chscag. Like my case, when on the process for partition then my mac is hang and i am push the power button. is tat the memory we prepare for the partition ( 32GB, 64GB, etc) will stuck ? or the system will roll back ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
so basically my memories is not enough.

Memory and Hard Disk space are two different things. Memory is purged every time you turn your computer off. It's the space that programs are loaded into in order for the CPU to be able to execute them. It's important to understand this distinction as it plays a huge role in troubleshooting a problem like this.

no worries i am using parallal destop. I still got another question chscag. Like my case, when on the process for partition then my mac is hang and i am push the power button. is tat the memory we prepare for the partition ( 32GB, 64GB, etc) will stuck ? or the system will roll back ?

It doesn't sound like it got far enough to allocate the space to the second partition. So, it shouldn't be stuck - if it is, you'll want to run Boot Camp Assistant again and it should roll back to a single partition.

Be advised that OS X likes a LOT of free hard disk space. Usually 20% or more of the drive (so, for example, if you've got a 100GB drive, you shouldn't even use more than 80GB). When it runs closer than that, your Mac will start to bog down and often fragment.

With hard drives as dirt cheap as they are these days, there's no need to struggle with an inadequately sized drive. I would recommend swapping it out, which on a MacBook is a fairly simple process.

OP
D
Reaction score
okay..... emmmm do u know how or any software to check the memory ? I am still dun get it why my memory drop down so quickly, in fact I dun used much in it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thx cwa107 and chscag. i finally solve it. now my memory is more than 70GB after i am repair my hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.